Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Reporting the Story
- "Newark: the Predictable Insurrection"Cover of Life for July 28, 1967.
- Newark, The Predictable Insurrection: Shooting War in the Streets
- July 28, 1967 issue of Life magazine. [Vol. 63, no.4]. Available?
- News Articles From the Events of July 1967Digitized articles from the Newark Evening News July 13-16, 1967. From the Newark Public Library.
- "Newark Riot Deaths at 21 as Negro Sniping Widens" New York Times, July 16, 1967
- Newark Race Riot: "Open Rebellion--Just Like Wartime" U.S. News & World Report 63(4), July 24, 1967, p. 6. Rutgers-restricted Access
- The Real Tragedy of Newark U.S. News & World Report 63(5), July 31, 1967, pp.30-31. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Violence: 24 Dead in Newark Riots
- Universal Newsreels. July 18, 1967. Rutgers-restricted Access
- BBC Newsnight: The Newark RiotsCharles Wheeler report.
- Collection of 1967 Newark Riots Newsclippings, 1967-1987.Finding Aid to a collection in the Monsignor Field Archives & Special Collection Center, Seton Hall University. "[P]hotocopied newspaper and journal articles on the riots and their aftermath, as well as reactions in Newark, NJ to the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr...Publications represented include the Star-Ledger, the New York Times, the Daily News, Time magazine, Life magazine, Newsweek, the Newark Evening News, and the Advocate, a Catholic newspaper."
- Urban Ghetto Riots, 1965-1968: A Comparison of Soviet and American Press Coverage.Ann Kathleen Johnson. Thesis (Ph.D), University of Denver, 1994. Chapter 5 (pp. 178-253) examines coverage of the 1967 Newark and Detroit riots by theNew York Times, the Washington Post, the Newark Star Ledger, and the Detroit Free Press; Chapter 6 (pp. 254-300) examines the coverage of those riots by Pravda and Izvestiia. Available?
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies