Skip to main content
Neighborhood and Recreational Services
"The mission of the Department...is to provide services that promote a clean, safe, and attractive environment and to ensure that diversified recreational and cultural activities are developed and implemented for all citizens of Newark to enjoy."
Parks, Playgrounds, and Other Recreational Facilities
- Newark Yacht Club
- Postcard dated October 9, 1906
- A Public Recreation System for Newark: Suggestions and Recommendations by the City Plan Commission.
- Newark, N.J. City Plan Commission. 1915.
- "A brief review, from the city-planning standpoint, of the value of a comprehensive system of public recreation."
- Preliminary Report on Parks, Playgrounds, Recreational Facilities and Schools for Newark, New Jersey.
- Harland Bartholomew & Associates. Newark, N.J., 1946. Available?
- National Urban Recreation Study, New York/Newark/Jersey City.
- U.S. Bureau of Outdoor Recreation. Northeast Region. Denver, 1977.Available?
- A Recreation Study Report: Report no. 1: Recreation Study to Determine Needs of the School Age Population of the City in All Five Wards.
- Newark, N.J., Division of City Planning, 1989. Available?
- Land Use Element of the Master Plan for the City of Newark: Appendices.
- Prepared by the City of Newark Department of Economic and Housing Development and Philips Preiss Shapiro Associates, Inc., for the Central Planning Board. Newark, 2004.
- Appendix B: Inventory of Public Parks, Open Space and Recreational Facilities
- The Rationale for Preserving Neighborhood Open Space in Newark, New Jersey's North Ward
- Stephen M. Wiessner. Thesis (M.S.). Newark, New Jersey Institute of Technology, 2003.
- "A study was conducted to determine the shifts in open space availability between 1950 and 2003 in four neighborhoods in the North Ward of Newark, New Jersey. Total open space in square feet and open spaces ten thousand square feet and less were quantified to determine the extent of usable open space for the creation of community gardens or vest pocket parks. The study identified large reductions of open space recently in the two least affluent study areas."
- Newark, New Jersey: An Open Space Analysis.
- Peter Harnik. Morristown, N.J., The Trust for Public Land, 2004.
- Brief history of city parks in Newark; Newark parks today and the possibilities for meeting the need for more recreational areas. Appendices (Maps): Newark Parkland and Buffers; Access to Parks by Income; Children's Access to Parks.
- Dynamics of School Playground Use in Low-Income Neighborhoods: Four Case Studies From Newark, New Jersey.
- Caryn Schneider Yaacov. Thesis (Ph.D), Newark, New Jersey Institute of Technology, 2009. Available?
Branch Brook Park
- Olympic Park
Jeffrey Stanton. National Amusement Park Historical Association.
- Branch Brook Park
- Historical timeline. Park originally (1895) designed by the firm of John Bogart and Nathan F. Barrett; design revised by Frederick Law and John Charles Olmsted (1900).
- History of the Park and Critical Periods of Development
- Cultural Landscape Report, Treatment, and Management Plan for Branch Brook Park, Newark, New Jersey:Volume 2. Prepared for the Branch Brook Park Alliance and the Essex County Department of Parks. November 2002.
- Branch Brook Park.
- Kathleen P. Galop and Catharine Longendyck. Charleston, S.C., Arcadia, 2007.
- Part of the "Images of America" series. Available?
- Cherry Blossom Land at Branch Brook Park: A Bamberger Fuld Legacy.
- Christine Baker. Bloomington, Ind., Authorhouse, 2010. Available?
- The Rink
- DVD. Sarah Friedland, director & editor. Perinspire, 2012.
- Documentary on the Branch Brook Park Roller Rink, one of the few remaining urban rinks of its kind. Available?
- Branch Brook Park, circa 1907-1910. Postcard
- Great Public Spaces: Weequahic Park
- Weequahic Park is the second largest developed park in Essex County.
Subjects:African American Studies
, American Studies
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies