Skip to main content
Neighborhood and Recreational Services
"The mission of the Department...is to provide services that promote a clean, safe, and attractive environment and to ensure that diversified recreational and cultural activities are developed and implemented for all citizens of Newark to enjoy."
Parks, Playgrounds, and Other Recreational Facilities
- Newark Yacht Club
- Postcard dated October 9, 1906
- A Public Recreation System for Newark: Suggestions and Recommendations by the City Plan Commission.
- Newark, N.J. City Plan Commission. 1915.
- "A brief review, from the city-planning standpoint, of the value of a comprehensive system of public recreation."
- Preliminary Report on Parks, Playgrounds, Recreational Facilities and Schools for Newark, New Jersey.
- Harland Bartholomew & Associates. Newark, N.J., 1946. Available?
- Safety on our Playgrounds: A Guide for Effective Safety Instruction
- Newark, N.J., Newark Board of Education, 1955.
- National Urban Recreation Study, New York/Newark/Jersey City.
- U.S. Bureau of Outdoor Recreation. Northeast Region. Denver, 1977.Available?
- A Recreation Study Report: Report no. 1: Recreation Study to Determine Needs of the School Age Population of the City in All Five Wards.
- Newark, N.J., Division of City Planning, 1989. Available?
- Land Use Element of the Master Plan for the City of Newark: Appendices.
- Prepared by the City of Newark Department of Economic and Housing Development and Philips Preiss Shapiro Associates, Inc., for the Central Planning Board. Newark, 2004.
- Appendix B: Inventory of Public Parks, Open Space and Recreational Facilities
- The Rationale for Preserving Neighborhood Open Space in Newark, New Jersey's North Ward
- Stephen M. Wiessner. Thesis (M.S.). Newark, New Jersey Institute of Technology, 2003.
- "A study was conducted to determine the shifts in open space availability between 1950 and 2003 in four neighborhoods in the North Ward of Newark, New Jersey. Total open space in square feet and open spaces ten thousand square feet and less were quantified to determine the extent of usable open space for the creation of community gardens or vest pocket parks. The study identified large reductions of open space recently in the two least affluent study areas."
- Newark, New Jersey: An Open Space Analysis.
- Peter Harnik. Morristown, N.J., The Trust for Public Land, 2004.
- Brief history of city parks in Newark; Newark parks today and the possibilities for meeting the need for more recreational areas. Appendices (Maps): Newark Parkland and Buffers; Access to Parks by Income; Children's Access to Parks.
- Dynamics of School Playground Use in Low-Income Neighborhoods: Four Case Studies From Newark, New Jersey.
- Caryn Schneider Yaacov. Thesis (Ph.D), Newark, New Jersey Institute of Technology, 2009. Available?
Branch Brook Park
- Branch Brook Park
- Historical timeline. Park originally (1895) designed by the firm of John Bogart and Nathan F. Barrett; design revised by Frederick Law and John Charles Olmsted (1900).
- History of the Park and Critical Periods of Development
- Cultural Landscape Report, Treatment, and Management Plan for Branch Brook Park, Newark, New Jersey:Volume 2. Prepared for the Branch Brook Park Alliance and the Essex County Department of Parks. November 2002.
- Branch Brook Park.
- Kathleen P. Galop and Catharine Longendyck. Charleston, S.C., Arcadia, 2007.
- Part of the "Images of America" series. Available?
- Cherry Blossom Land at Branch Brook Park: A Bamberger Fuld Legacy.
- Christine Baker. Bloomington, Ind., Authorhouse, 2010. Available?
- Interpretive Guide: Centennial Trail, Branch Brook Park, Newark, NJ
- Newark, N.J., Greater Newark Conservancy, 1995?
- Branch Brook Park
- Photographs by Ace (Armando) Alagna. Seton Hall University eRepository.
- The Rink
- DVD. Sarah Friedland, director & editor. Perinspire, 2012.
- Documentary on the Branch Brook Park Roller Rink, one of the few remaining urban rinks of its kind. Available?
- Branch Brook Park, circa 1907-1910. Postcard
- Great Public Spaces: Weequahic Park
- Weequahic Park is the second largest developed park in Essex County.
- Weequahic Park
- Maps, images, and newspaper articles from the Newark Park (Old Newark) site.
- Saving a Park: The Weequahic Park Story
- WIlbur J. McNeil. Newark, N.J., 1997. Available? [NPL]
- Weequahic Park. Panoramic view.
- Boat House, Weequahic Park Post card. 1907
- Weequahic Park Track Post Card. 1912
Newark Amusement Parks
- Smile: A Picture History of Olympic Park, 1887-1965.
- Alan A. Siegel. New Brunswick, Rutgers University Press, 1995. Available?
- Olympic Park
- Jeffrey Stanton. National Amusement Park Historical Association.
- The Old Mill Showing Roller Coaster, Olympic Park Postcard
- The Paddock, Olympic Park, Newark Postcard
- Olympic Park, c. 1964 Video
- Opening of Electric Park Newark Sunday Call May 31, 1903
- Electric Park, Newark,N.J.
- Street Railway Journal 25(22), June 3, 1905, pp.994-995
- White City for Velodrome Site Newark Sunday Call May 29, 1920
- Electric Park Images from the Newark Parks site
- 1927 Map including Dreamland Park
- Volume 3, Plate 21, of Robinson's Atlas of the City of Newark. (1927)
- Dreamland Park Roller Skating Rink Postcard
- A Look Back at Newark's Most Bizarre Sports Event -- and the Man Behind it
- Nat Bodian. Bullfighting in Dreamland Park.
, Course Guides (Newark)
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies