Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- Charter Schools and Urban Education Improvement: A Comparison of Newark's District and Charter Schools
- Jason Barr, Alan Sadovnik, and Louisa Visconti. October 2005.
- A Comparison of District and Charter Schools for 4th and 8th Grades in Newark, New Jersey.
- Jason Barr, Alan Sadovnik, and Louisa Visconti. Rutgers University Newark Working Paper #2006-002. May 2006
- Charter High Schools: Closing the Achievement Gap: Innovations in Education.
- Washington, D.C., U.S. Dept. of Education, 2006.
- Profiles eight charter schools, including the North Star Academy School of Newark, that are meeting achievement goals under No Child Left Behind (NCLB). 95% of North Star's 2005 graduates were accepted to 4-year universities.
- A Statistical Analysis of the Newark Public Schools
- Jason M. Barr. November 2004.
- Using 2002-2003 New Jersey Report Card data, analyses the performance and characteristics of fourth and eighth grade students in Newark public schools. Looks at determinants of student performance and differences in student composition and performance between charter and other public schools.
- "Home is Where the Heart Is: Can Cory Booker Save Newark's Schools?,"
- David Skinner. Education Next 2006(4), Fall 2006, 23-29
- Using Classroom Management to Improve Preschoolers' Social and Emotional Skills: Final Impact and Implementation Findings from the Foundations of Learning Demonstration in Newark and Chicago.
- Pamela Morris et al. New York, MRDC, January 2013.
- Newark Public Schools: Budget Impacts of Underfunding and Rapid Charter Growth
- Danielle Farrie and Monete Johnson. Newark, Rutgers University Education Law Center, 2017.
- In this report the authors analyze the impact of the NPS budget crisis on per pupil spending in district schools. They find that the combined stress of chronic underfunding and rapid charter expansion has significantly lowered spending and reduced staff and programs in district schools.
- Showing Up Matters: Newark Chronic Absenteeism in the Early Years
- Advocates for Children of New Jersey. January 2016.
- 4,328 Newark students in grades kindergarten through 3rd grade were chronically absent during the 2013–14 school year.
- Post-Secondary Outcomes of Newark High School Graduates (2011-2016): College Enrollment, Persistence, & Completion
- Jeffrey R. Backstrand and Kristi Donaldson. Newark City of Learning Collaborative and Rutgers University Newark School of Public Affairs and Administration, 2018.
- A longitudinal study of the college-going patterns of almost 13,500 Newark high school students from the district, charter, vocational technical, and parochial sectors.
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies