Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Germans in Newark
- The Early Germans of New Jersey: Their History, Churches, and Genealogies.
- Theodore Frelinghuysen Chambers. Dover, N.J., Dover Printing Company, 1895. Available?
- Harper's New Monthly Magazine October 1, 1876, pp. 660-678.
- See pp. 675-676 on the Germans in Newark. Rutgers-restricted access
- "The Germans in Newark,"
- William Von Katzler. IN Urquhart, Frank J. A History of the City of Newark, New Jersey Embracing Practically
Two and a Half Centuries 1666-1913. New York, Lewis Historical Publishing, 1913. Vol.2, pp. 1021-1125. Available?
- "Immigrant Workers, 'Equal Rights,' and Anti-Slavery: The Germans of Newark, New Jersey,"
- Bruce C. Levine. Labor History 25(1), 1984, 26-52.
- German immigrant workers in Newark took the lead in opposing the proslavery Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854. Rutgers-restricted Access
- "The City and the Church: Catholic Beginnings in Newark, 1840-1870,"
- Raymond M. Ralph. New Jersey History 96(3/4), 1978, 105-118.
- In the mid-19th century Catholics, primarily Irish and German immigrants, constituted one of Newark's largest religious groups. Available?
- View of 1st (German) Baptist, Mercer St., Newark, N.J.
- 1870. The New York Public Library Digital Collections.
- "Measuring Ethnic Clustering and Exposure with the Q Statistic: An Exploratory Analysis of Irish, Germans, and Yankees in 1880 Newark"
- Antonio Paez et al. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 102(1), January 2012, 84-102. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Souvenir der DIogenes Loge No. 22, F. & A.M. : Zum Fünfzigjährigen Jubiläum : 1851-1901.
- Newark, 1901. Available?
- Souvenir. M.G.V. Aurora Fest-Konzert zur Feier des Golden Jubilaeums, Freitag, 11. April 1902, Krueger Auditorium, Newark, New Jersey.
- Newark, Heinz Printing Co, 1902.
- The Maenner-Gesang-Verein Aurora choral society. Available?
- Fest-Schrift zum Goldenen Jubilaeum des Maennergesang-Vereins Arion in Newark, N.J.
- Newark, N.J., Arion Singing Society, 1909. Available?
- Wartime Letters from a NJ Doughboy, 1918-1919
- Marilyn Pfaltz reads from the wartime letters of Hugo Menzel Pfaltz (1896-1989), who grew up in Newark, attended Rutgers College, and served in France during World War I. Union Public Library, July 21, 2020.
Subjects: American Studies
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies