Skip to main content
1960s and Beyond
- Broken Deal: Devolution, Development and Civil Society in Newark, New Jersey, 1960-1990.
- Julia Rabig. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Pennsylvania, 2007.
- "This dissertation explores the enduring conflicts over race, federalism, and local self-determination in postwar U.S. cities through the experience of Newark, New Jersey...
Newark's residents and their suburban neighbors mounted imaginative challenges to the city's decline, many of which resonated nationally among policymakers and residents of similarly
- Dana Call Number: HT177.N54R32 2007a [NEWARK plus STACKS] Available?
- Urban Renewal Politics: Slum Clearance in Newark.
- Harold Kaplan. New York, N.Y., Columbia University, 1963.
- Focuses on the Newark Housing Authority and how they launched nine slum projects during the first 10 years of Title 1 of the 1949 Federal Housing Act. Looks at urban renewal as a political process.
- Dana Call Number: HT177 .N54K2 [NEWARK plus STACKS] Available?
- "Ethnic and Group Voting in Nonpartisan Municipal Elections,"
- Gerald Pomper. Public Opinion Quarterly 30, Spring 1966, 79-97.
- Analyzes the voting patterns in two Newark elections: the municipal nonpartison election of 1962 and the State Assembly contest of 1961. Results suggest that ethnic identification is a major factor in nonpartison elections. Rutgers-restricted Access
- The End of Coalition: The Failure of Community Organizing in Newark in the 1960s.
- David Milton Gerwin. Thesis (Ph.D), Columbia University, 1998.
- Looks at how the dynamic of urban decline defeated attempts to organize traditional neighborhood-based groups and organized labor into a coalition under the Newark
Community Union Project, one of ten community organizing projects sponsored by the Students for a Democratic Society (SDS) in 1963-64.
- Dana Call Number: F144 .N6G47 1998a [NEWARK plus STACKS] Available?
- "Newark: Negroes Move Toward Power,"
- John O'Shea. The Atlantic 216(5), November 1965, 90-92, 97-98.
- "Newark, the state's wealthiest and most influential city, is now in transition from white to Negro political control."
- Dana Call Number: Periodical, Shelved by Title
- Unfinished Agenda: Urban Politics in the Era of Black Power
- Junius W. Williams. Berkeley, North Atlantic, 2014. Available?
- "City and Suburb,"
- Leonard A. Cole. IN Blacks in Power: A Comparative Study of Black and White Elected Officials.
Princeton, Princeton University Press, 1976, pp. 154-191.
- Looks at the impact of elected black officials on specific municipal
issues in six large cities and ten suburban communities in New Jersey.
City section largely focuses on Newark.
- Dana Call Number: JS451 .N55C57 Available?
- "Organizing Neighborhoods: Gary and Newark,"
- Richard J. Krickus. Dissent 19(1), 1972, 107-117. Reprinted in: The World of the Blue-Collar Worker. Edited by Irving Howe. New York, Quadrangle Books, 1972, pp. 72-88.
- Focuses on Steve Adubato's successful campaign for district leadership
in Newark's Italian North Ward against the Democratic party machine.
- Dana Call Number: Periodical, Shelved by Title/NEWARK HD8072 .H88 1972 Available?
- Adubato the Struggler: White Ethnicity and the (Re)construction of Selfhood.
- Brian E. Hohmann. M.A. Thesis, Rutgers University, 2010.
- Dana Call Number: ARCHIV F .H64 2010 Available?
- "Class and Ethnic Political Relations in Newark, New Jersey: Blacks and Italians,"
- Gwendolyn Mikell. IN Cities of the United States: Studies in Urban Anthropology. Edited by Leith Mullings. New York, Columbia University Press, 1987, pp. 71-98.
- "A case study of Newark, New Jersey, where ethnic conflict, characteristic of the late 1960s and early 1970s, has its roots in the historical class development and in interethnic relations since 1900. As economic conditions changed in the mid-1970s, allowing for the penetration of professionals into public and private bureaucracies, the competition between blacks and Italians was tempered."
- Dana Call Number: HT123 .C4968 1987 Available?
- From Riot to Recovery : Newark After Ten Years
- Compiled and edited by Stanley B. Winters. Washington : University Press of America, c1979.
- Dana Call Number: HN80.N6F7 [NEWARK Plus STACKS] Available?
- "Newark, Crime and Politics in a Declining City,"
- Dorothy H. Guyot. IN Crime in City Politics. Edited by Anne Heinz, Herbert Jacob, Robert L. Lineberry.
New York, Longman, 1983, pp. 23-96.
- Alexander Call Number: HV6789 .C693 1983 [Also Newark Law] Available?
Subjects:African American Studies
, American Studies
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies