Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- When Nature is Rats and Roaches: Religious Eco-Justice Activism in Newark, NJ
- Matthew B. Immergut and Laurel Kearns. Journal for the Study of Religion Nature and Culture 6, 2012, 176-195.
- "We specifically examine a range of strategies and campaigns by religious actors, and their non-religious partners, to fight the overwhelming toxicity and neglect of one neighborhood in the city—the Ironbound. We also consider some of the reasons in this particular context for a lack of engagement by religious groups and the difficulties faced by immigrant populations in addressing environmental problems."
- “A Phenomenological Understanding of Residents’ Emotional Distress of Living in an Environmental Justice Community.”
- Gabriela Dory, et al. International Journal of Qualitative Studies on Health and Well-Being 12(1), January 2017, pp. 1-10.
- "This study applies a descriptive phenomenological method to explore and describe the emotional experience of residents living in Ironbound, a known EJ community located in Newark, New Jersey." Rutgers-restricted Access
- Ironbound Voices
- Newsletter of the Ironbound Community Corporation of Newark. 1978-2001.
- Ironbound Environmental Justice History and Resource Center
- A project of the Ironbound Community Corporation of Newark, the IEJHRC is housed at the Van Buren Branch of the Newark Public Library (140 Van Buren Street) and is open to the public.
- Garbage Governmentalities and Environmental Justice in New Jersey
- Raysa Martinez Kruger. (Ph.D. Thesis) Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, 2017. "Using the Ironbound neighborhood of Newark and Essex County as a case study area, this dissertation examines how conditions of environmental injustice in the Ironbound are produced and perpetuated by the collective enactment of our governmental approaches to the problem of increasing garbage production in New Jersey since the 1870s. The garbage flow control policy New Jersey implemented in the 1970s is a focus point in this analysis, but this dissertation contextualizes the incinerator location strategy within the history and geography of garbage governmental management in the state."
- Stirring the Melting Pot: Food and the Performance of Inclusion in Newark's Ironbound Neighborhood Rutgers-restricted access
- Lori Danielle Barcliff Baptista. Thesis (Ph.D.), Northwestern University, 2009. Available?
- "Peixe, Patria e Possibilidades Portuguesas: "Fish, Homeland, and Portuguese Possibilities,"
- Lori Danielle Barcliff Baptista. Text and Performance Quarterly 29(1), 2009, pp.60-76.
- "This essay explores the relationship between food and identity performances within a segment of a Portuguese transnational community with social, economic, and political ties to both the Ironbound neighborhood of Newark, New Jersey, and many of the rural villages of Portugal. I examine how some Portuguese-Americans in Newark's Ironbound use bacalhau (salt cod) to perform their identities." Rutgers-restricted Access
- Ironbound Foodscapes: Five Buildings, Five Stories, One Neighborhood
- Traces the cultural history of the Ironbound through its eating establishments. From The Newest Americans
- The Ironbound: An Illustrated History of Newark's Down Neck
- Edward A. Jardim. Frenchtown, New Jersey, Stone Creek Publications, 2016.
- Heavily illustrated. Available?
- The Changing Geography of Italian Immigrants in the United States: A Case Study of the Ironbound Colony, Newark, New Jersey.
- William J.E. Bolen. Thesis (Ph.D), Rutgers University, 1986.
- The impact of Italian immigrants on transforming the cultural landscape, and a detalied analysis of the Italian Ironbound colony in Newark at the turn of the 20th century. Available?
- Design to Connect: Complete Connectivity in the Ironbound
- Mark D. Hoopes. (M.L.A. Thesis)Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, 2018.
- "Communities that connect with one another and their landscape become functional and strong, enabling them to act together to achieve common goals. This paper explores how landscape design can reinforce this type of connectivity in the Ironbound neighborhood of Newark, NJ."
- Redevelopment Plan for the Ironbound Area: Area Under Investigation: City Tax Block 2040, Lots 1 and 2
- Newark, N.J., Mayor's Policy and Development Office, 1978. Available?
- Ironbound: Newark, New Jersey, An Urban Portrait Donald P. Lokuta. 1980.
- Photographs. Available?
- A New Consciousness: Challenging, Choosing, Changing: The Story of the Ironbound Community Learning Center, Newark, New Jersey
- Jeanne Dolan and Tim Parsons. Trenton, N.J., Department of Education, 1974.
- A community learning center established in Newark, New Jersey, in 1969.
- A History of the Ironbound Children's Center
- Paul Schrodt. Newark: Learning Development Center in Newark, Inc., 1973.
- An Economic Audit of the Central Business and Ironbound Districts of Newark, New Jersey.
- Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. Regional Studies Section, 1973. Available?
- History of Pennington Court, 1939-1960
- Walter Chambers, 1982.
- Located in the Ironbound, Pennington Court may have been the first public housing project in New Jersey.
- "The Ironbound District" : A Study of a District in Newark, N. J.
- Willard D. Price for the Neighborhood House, Newark, 1912.
Ironbound Neighborhood House
- Newark Neighborhood House
- One page report, circa 1903. The Neighborhood House was opened by the Newark Social Settlement Association in 1905. "The 'Ironbound District' has been chosen for the first settlement partly because of its cosmopolitan nature and partly because it is the heart of the great factory district."
- Newark Settlement House, c.1903.
Subjects: American Studies
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies
Oral Histories and Other Narratives