Skip to main content
- Heart of Stone [Videorecording].
- Beth Toni Kruvant, producer and director. Good Footage, 2009. "Portrait
of a bold principal who works with gang leaders and alumni of Weequahic
High School of Newark, New Jersey to give African American students at
this inner city school a hopeful future." Available?
- The RuleBongiorno Productions, 2014. "The Benedictine monks of Newark Abbey, in the heart of one of America's most dangerous cities, are able to achieve amazing success with the most vulnerable population: inner city African American and Latino teenage males...The film details how their "recipe for success" follows the 6th century Rule of Saint Benedict and how this rule can serve as a model for whole cities nationwide." Available?
North Star Academy
- Understanding Achievement: A Grounded Theory Study of How Adult Behaviors Lead to High School Achievement in High Poverty High Minority Schools Rutgers-restricted access
Sheron M. Brown. Ph.D. Thesis, Capella University, 2007.
"North Star Academy Charter School in Newark, NJ, was selected as a model to represent other high poverty, high minority schools in urban environments. The phenomena occurring at this school suggested how other schools with similar demographics can also experience success." Available?
- Charter High Schools: Closing the Achievement Gap: Innovations in Education.Washington, D.C., U.S. Dept. of Education, 2006. Profiles eight charter schools, including the North Star Academy School of Newark, that are meeting achievement goals under No Child Left Behind (NCLB). 95% of North Star's 2005 graduates were accepted to 4-year universities.
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Report of the North Star Academy Charter School of Newark for the Fiscal Year Ended June 30, 2016
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Report of the North Star Academy Charter School of Newark for the Fiscal Year Ending June 30, 2012.
- North Star Academy Charter School of Newark Annual Report: 2009-2010
- North Star Academy Charter School of Newark Annual Report: 2008-09
- A Brief History of the Newark Academy 1774-1792-1916.
- Wilson Farrand. Newark, N.J., Baker Printing Co., 1916.
- History of the second oldest school in New Jersey.
- "Newark School of Fine and Industrial Arts."
- Irmari Nacht and Bobbie Bouton-Goldberg. IN Encyclopedia of New Jersey, New Brunswick N.J., Rutgers University Press, 2004, p. 566
- From 1882 to 1995 the NSFIA was an important school of fine and applied arts. Available?
- Miracle on High Street: The Rise, Fall, and Resurrection of St. Benedict's Prep in Newark, N.J.
- Thomas Allan McCabe. New York, Fordham University Press, 2011.
- Founded in 1868 as a Catholic "day college;" St. Benedict's officially became a preparatory school in 1910. Available?
- Miracle on High Street: A History of St. Benedict's Preparatory School, Newark, New Jersey Rutgers-restricted access
- Thomas Allan McCabe. Ph.D. Thesis. Rutgers Univesity, 2006. Available?
- Case Study of the Peshine Avenue School, Newark, New Jersey.
- Zelda Girion Katz. Thesis (M.S.E.), New Jersey State Teachers College at Newark, 1956. Available?
- New Jersey Dreaming: Capital, Culture, and the Class of '58.
- Sherry B. Ortner. Durham, N.C., Duke University Press, 2003.
- In-depth look at Newark's Weequahic High School class of 1958. Available?
- "Ethnography Among the Newark: The Class of '58 of Weequahic High School,"
- Sherry B. Ortner. Michigan Quarterly Review 32, Summer 1993, pp.411-429. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Newark's Jewish Frontier: Weequahic & Its High School
- Linda B. Forgosh. Program sponsored by the Newark History Society and the Womens' Association of NJPAC's Cultural Legacy Committee. March 14, 2016. DVD Available?
- Barringer High School Handbook, Newark, New Jersey : for the information of pupils and parents
- Abbey Printing Company, 1933 Available?
- Barringer High School: A Window Into Newark During the 1960s and Early 1970s.
- Denell Marsh. M.A. Thesis, Rutgers University-Newark, 2008. Available?
- The Newark Boys Chorus School: An Organizational Development Case Study.
- Roger David Mitchell. Thesis (Ph.D.), University of Massachusetts, 1981. Available?
- "Critique: The Newark Boys Chorus School: An Organizational Development Case Study" Rutgers-restricted access
- Roger D. Mitchell. Bulletin of the Council for Research in Music Education. 82, Spring 1985, pp. 69-74. Available?
- "Better Beginnings [Newark Science Park High School],"
- AnnMarie Marano. Contract 51(2), February 2009, pp.42-45.
- Einhorn Yaffee Prescott's design for Science Park High. Rutgers-restricted Access
Subjects:African American Studies
, American Studies
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies