Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Bambergers, Hahne's, and Kresge's
- Bambergers: New Jersey's Greatest Store
- Michael J. Lisicky. Charleston, S.C., History Press, 2016. Available?
- Louis Bamberger: Department Store Innovator and Philanthropist
- Linda B. Forgosh. Brandeis Series in American Jewish History, Culture and Life. Waltham, Mass., Brandeis University Press, 2016. Available?
- "Bamberger's Department Store"
- Paul Clemens. IN Encyclopedia of New Jersey Edited by Maxine Lurie and Marc Mappen. New Brunswick, N.J., Rutgers University Press, 2004, pp.52-53.
- Department Stores and the Origins of American Broadcasting, 1910-1931.
- Ronald J. "Noah" Arceneaux. (Ph.D Thesis), University of Georgia, 2007.
- Explores department store radio stations of the 1920s and early 1930s, including Bamberger's WOR Radio.
- To Market, To Market, or, Some Parables With Many Points on the Selling Power of WOR
- Newark, N.J., Bamberger Broadcasting Service, 1936. Available?
- "Bamberger's Department Store, Charm Magazine, and the Culture of Consumption in New Jersey, 1924-1932"
- John E. O'Connor and Charles F. Cummings. New Jersey History 102, 1984, pp.1-34. Available?
- Dramatized Salesmanship: Playlets Produced by The Department of Education of L. Bamberger & Co.
- Edited by Genevieve Gordon and Clarice Runyan Young. New York, Textile Publishing Company, 1928.
- "Playlets may be employed very effectively in store and school classes to rejuvenate material which it is necessary for the the pupils to know, but which seems particularly dull in the usual repetition...Every store may find different occasions to use such playlets as these. In our particular store, we hae produced them in conjunciton with the graduation of a class in a two months' salesmanship course, and have used members of the class for the actors."
- Bambergers Window, Fair Employment Practices Week, 1953
- Photograph. Newark Public Library Digital Collections.
- Marcel Duchamp in Newark
- Hellmut Wohl. Burlington Magazine 145(1198), January 2003, pp. 36-39.
- In January 1960, Marcel Duchamp installed a window display which included his Nude Descending a Staircase, no, 3 at Bamberger's department store. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Counter Currents
- Newark, N.J., L. Bamberger &Co.
- Bamberger's employee magazine. Available?
- Redeveloping Bambergers
- Market Halsey Associates. 1995. Newark Public Library Digital Collections.
- Hahne and Company Records (1897-1936)
- 20 account books and 2 payroll books recording the general expenses of Hahne and Co. Newark Public Library.
- Hahne & Company
- The Department Store Museum. Exterior shots; 1960s ad; store directory (1970s?); renderings of branch locations. Blog; includes reminicenses of former customers & employees.
- Hahne & Company
- History plus a series of postcards.
- Hahne & Co. Ad
- The Cranford Chronicle. September 9, 1904.
- Hahne & Co. Ad
- The Union County Standard. November 30, 1906.
- Hahne & Co's 52nd Anniversary Celebration and Sale
- Ad. The Red Bank Register. September 7, 1910. [p.2]
- Urban League of New Jersey. Industrial Relations Department Report for January 1948
- Department Store Project. Unsuccessful attempts to meet with the President of Hahne's Department Store to discuss "the exclusion of Negroes from positions as sales clerks in Hahnes." Newark Public Library Digital Collections.
- Hahne and Company Department Store
- 1994 nomination of the Hahne's building to the National Register of Historic Places
- Regrowing Community by Reappropriating Built History: Adaptive Reuse of the Hahne's Department Store in Newark, NJ
- Michelle Alixanne Bryant. M.Arch. Thesis. Dalhousie University, March 2011.
- "This thesis explores issues of adaptive re-use, programmatic diversity, community centre design and urban renewal."
- Kresge Celebrates Seventy-Five Years as an Institution
- Summit Herald, October 4, 1945, p. 4.
- Fox and Plaut Clothing Store Record Books (1870-1886)
- Fox and Plaut was purchased by Sebastian S. Kresge in 1923 and renamed Kresge Department Store in 1926. New Jersey Historical Society.
- Finding Aid for Sebastian Spering Kresge Papers, 1923-1966
- Collection at the Bentley Historical Library of the University of Michigan. Kresge was founder of the S.S. Kresge Company and sole owner of the Kresge Department Store in Newark. The papers have been microfilmed and are available for Interlibrary Loan.
- Honeycomb Briefs: House Organ of the L.S. Plaut/Kresge Department Stores Available?
- The Store for All the People: Kresge Department Store
- Postcard, c.1925
- Abandoned Stations: The Cedar Street Subway (Kresge's and McCrory's)
- "The Cedar St subway was constructed in 1914-1916 by the Public Service Railway to bring streetcars into the lower level of the new Public Service Terminal in downtown Newark." History, diagram, and photographs.
- Kresge Department Store
- Photograph, 1941. Newark Public Library Digital Collections.
- Urban League of New Jersey. Industrial Relations Department Monthly Report for November 1946
- Update on the "Department Store Program." "Kresge's Newark, has now promised us to definitely hire some Negro girls as sales clerks."
- Welcome to Kresge-Newark: A Manual of Things You Should Know.
- Newark, N.J., Kresge, 195?
- Employee handbook. Available?
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies