Skip to main content
Newark African Commission
Africans in Newark
- Untold Stories: Newark's Burgeoning West African Population and the In-School Experiences of African Immigrant Youth
- Michael Simmons and Mahako Etta. IN West African Youth: Challenges and Opportunity Pathways. Mora L. McLean, editor. Palgrave Macmillan, 2019, pp. 79-100.
- Interrogating Diasporic Identity and Media Distribution Flows, Reception Practices, and Video Film Interpretations of Nollywood Audiences in Newark, New Jersey
- Kaia Niambi Shivers. Thesis (Ph.D.). Rutgers University New Brunswick, 2015
- "This dissertation examines how the distribution, consumption, and interpretation of “Nollywood” contribute to identity among African-Americans, Africans, and Afro-Caribbeans who live, work, or socialize in Newark, New Jersey. It also shows how the influx of movies from Nigeria and Ghana changes the media landscape of a city that has a place identity of being a 'black city.'"
- Immigrant Entrepreneurship, Institutional Logics, and Informality: A Study of Entrepreneurs and Urban Entrepreneurship Policy in Newark, New Jersey
- Lutisha S. Vickerie. (Ph.D. Thesis) Rutgers University--Newark, 2018.
- "This qualitative study profiles the way immigrant entrepreneurs from African and Caribbean countries navigate a different institutional environment than their home country."
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies