Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Newark African Commission
Africans in Newark
- Untold Stories: Newark's Burgeoning West African Population and the In-School Experiences of African Immigrant Youth
- Michael Simmons and Mahako Etta. IN West African Youth: Challenges and Opportunity Pathways. Mora L. McLean, editor. Palgrave Macmillan, 2019, pp. 79-100.
- Interrogating Diasporic Identity and Media Distribution Flows, Reception Practices, and Video Film Interpretations of Nollywood Audiences in Newark, New Jersey
- Kaia Niambi Shivers. Thesis (Ph.D.). Rutgers University New Brunswick, 2015
- "This dissertation examines how the distribution, consumption, and interpretation of “Nollywood” contribute to identity among African-Americans, Africans, and Afro-Caribbeans who live, work, or socialize in Newark, New Jersey. It also shows how the influx of movies from Nigeria and Ghana changes the media landscape of a city that has a place identity of being a 'black city.'"
- Immigrant Entrepreneurship, Institutional Logics, and Informality: A Study of Entrepreneurs and Urban Entrepreneurship Policy in Newark, New Jersey
- Lutisha S. Vickerie. (Ph.D. Thesis) Rutgers University--Newark, 2018.
- "This qualitative study profiles the way immigrant entrepreneurs from African and Caribbean countries navigate a different institutional environment than their home country."
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies