In 1869, the City purchased fifteen acres in the southern part of Newark which became known as City Cemetery, and in the 1940's as Floral Rest. In present-day Newark, City Cemetery comprises about 5.2 acres and is located south of Haynes Avenue, bounded on the west by an unnamed public road and on the east by Bessemer Street. It is behind the Anheuser-Busch plant on Routes 1 and 9 and under the Haynes Avenue bridge.
In 1903, and on an unknown date prior to that, the City sold two pieces of the cemetery property to United Jersey Railroad and Canal Company/Pennsylvania Railroad (Railroad). MORE:
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, an equal access/equal opportunity institution. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to direct suggestions, comments, or complaints concerning any accessibility issues with Rutgers web sites to: email@example.com or complete the Report Accessibility Barrier / Provide Feedback Form.