This guide focuses on resources containing data on the city of Newark, New Jersey. For an extensive bibliography (books, articles, reports, web sites) on Newark see The Newark Experience.
Indexes and Databases
- Proquest Statistical Insight
- Index to statistics published by the U.S. government (1973- ), by international intergovernmental organizations (1983- ), by professional and trade organizations, by U.S. state government agencies, by independent research organizations, and by universities and research centers (1980- ).
- Off-Campus Access Restricted Access
- County and City Data Book 2007
- "Information in the County and City Data Book covers the following topical areas: age, agriculture, births, business establishments, climate, construction, crime, deaths, earnings, education, elections, employment, finance, government, health, households, housing, income, labor force, manufactures, population, poverty, race and Hispanic origin, social services, and water use."
- County and City Data Books
- Select data elements and create your own tables based on data reported in the 1944-2000 County and City Data Books
- State of the Cities Data Systems
- Data on 542 central cities and 10,744 metropolitan suburban places. In addition to demographic, employment, and business data, the SOCDS also contains data on high tech jobs in cities, suburbs, and metropolitan areas, as well as house values and rents, and crime rates. "Fast Look" option allows user to view data tables for one or more selected cities. The SOCDS also includes Comprehensive Housing Affordability Strategy (CHAS) data showing housing problems and the availability of affordable housing for states, counties, and places, as well as Urban Finance data (public expenditures, revenues, and employees) for cities and metropolitan areas.