Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Newark Industrial Institute
- Newark Industrial Institute Records (1872-1876).
- The Newark Industrial Institute was founded in 1873 to encourage industrial and technological progress in the city, and sponsored an annual Newark Industrial Exhibition. Included in this collection are minutes, visitors' registers, and financial records pertaining to the Newark Industrial Institute and its Exhibitions. New Jersey Historical Society.
Newark Public Library Business Branch
- Newark's Industries and Newark's Library
- Newark, N.J., Newark Public Library, 1920. Pamphlet reproducing John Cotton Dana's letter to the Trustees of the Newark Public Library outlining the current collections and services of the Newark Business Branch and proposing an expanded, fee-based service for the Newark industrial and business community. The trustees "authorized the Library to make a charge of one dollar per hour for all research work over and above that which it may properly give without charge to any resident or tax-payer of the city."
- Report and Catalogue of the First Exhibition of Newark Industries.
- Newark, N.J., Holbrook's Steam Printing, 1872.
- The Industrial Interests of Newark, N.J. Containing an Historical Sketch of the City. Also a Complete Summary of the Origin, Growth and Present Condition of Newark's Industries. Including the Location and Description of All the Manufacturing Establishments.
- William F. Ford. New York, Van Arsdale & Company, 1874.
- In addition to a historical sketch of Newark, includes chapters on the manufacture of celluloid, leather, iron, other metals, iron and wood, wood, and miscellaneous products, as well as a chapter on the Newark Industrial Institute. Available?
- The Successful Business Men of Newark, N.J.
- Syracuse, N.Y., Van Arsdale & Co., 1879.
- Brief sketch of Seth Boyden, followed by about a 100 pages of full-page ads for Newark businesses.
- Industries of New Jersey Part V: Essex County, Including City of Newark, the Oranges, Montclair, Bloomfield, and Belleville
- Newark, Historical Publishing Company, 1882.
- Includes an essay on the City of Newark and its industries, with separate entries on individual Newark businesses.
- 1887. Quarter-Century's Progress of New Jersey's Leading Manufacturing Centres. Embracing in One Volume a Carefully Prepared Review of the Prominent Manufacturing Cities of Northern New Jersey, Showing Their Growth, Development, and Present Advantages, The Data Compiled Up to the Time of Issue...
- New York, International Publishing Company, 1887.
- "City of Newark," pages 33-117. City overview plus descriptions of individual manufacturers and merchants. Available?
- Yearbook of the Board of Trade of the City of Newark
- 1881-1914. From the Hathi Trust.
- Newark and its Leading Business Men, Embracing also, Those of Harrison, Kearny, Belleville and Roseville
- John Austin Williams. Newark, N.J., Mercantile Publishing, 1891.
- First 50 pages devoted to "Newark and its Points of Interest."
- Newark and Its Attractions...Illustrated
- New York, Geo. W. Richardson, 1911.
- Newark businesses, large and small.
- Newark: The City of Industry. Facts and Figures Concerning the Metropolis of New Jersey
- Newark Board of Trade. 1912.
- Directory: Newark Made Goods. Newark Manufacturers Alphabetically Arranged in English, French and Spanish.
- Newark, N.J., Board of Trade of the City of Newark. Industrial Exposition Committee. 1913 Available?
- Report on Public Markets
- Newark, N.J., City Plan Commission, 1912. With "Supplementary Suggestions," January, 1913.
Subjects: American Studies
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies