Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Newark on Film
A Walk Through Newark. New York, Thirteen/WNET, 2002.
David Hartman and Historian Barry Lewis offer a guided tour of Newark. Available?
The Once and Future Newark. Newark, Rutgers University, 2006.
Tour of Newark sites chosen for their broad cultural, social and historical significance. Hosted by Dr. Clement
Alexander Price. Available?
Once and Future Newark
YouTube, in 13 segments.
Brick City. First Run Features, 2009.
Brick City (Streaming Video) Rutgers-restricted Access
5 part series documenting several months in the history of Newark. Focuses on several distinct characters, including Mayor Cory Booker and his attempts to rejuvenate the city. Available?
- Newark Chronology: 1666-1999
- From the Knowing Newark site.
- City of Newark, NJ
- The official municipal site.
- Newark Neighborhoods
- Brief overview of each Newark ward, including some historical information.
- Lincoln Park: A Brief History
- Catherine Wall and Diane Hartelius, Newark, N.J., Integrity, Inc., 1976?. Available?
- Community Survey of Woodside
- Helen Wallace, 1954.
- Newark Ward Boundaries 2000
- Newark Landmark Treasures: A Guide to the Landmark Buildings, Parks, Public Art & Historic Districts in New Jersey's Metropolis
- Mark W. Gordon and Anthony Schuman, editors. Newark, Newark Preservation and Landmarks Committee, 2016. Available?
- Newark Landmarks
- List of Newark sites (historic districts, buildings, parks, cemeteries,
and statuary) included on the National and New Jersey Registers of
Historic Places. The National Register of Historic Places Inventory for Newark, which contains detailed information for each historic site, has been digitized and is available from the New Jersey Institute of Technology.
- 100 Things to do in Newark Before You Die.
- Lauren Craig. Saint Louis, Mo. Reedy Press, 2017. Available?
- A Day in the Life of Newark: An Exhibit of Photographs and Accompanying Narratives by Students of the Newark Public
Schools Depicting Images Seen Around the City of Newark, New Jersey.
- Newark, N.J., Newark Public Schools, 2004.
- Dana Call Number: F144 .N6D3 2004 [NEWARK plus FOLIO] Available?
- Glen Geisheimer's treasure trove of information on Newark since its inception to the present.
"Historical Menu" includes links to photographs (2000+), biographies, business histories, cemetaries, maps, newspaper lists,
census information (including lists of orphanage residents), a street and ward index, and indexes to
Newark births and marriages. The Your Newark Memories page has over 900
narratives of Newark in former times, while the Newark Immigrants
section includes basic information on the history of Newark's Chinese, German, Italian, Irish, and Jewish settlers. Searchable.
- Knowing Newark
- The late Charles Cummings "Knowing Newark" columns, which appeared in the Newark Star-Ledger from March 7, 1996 to December 29, 2005, offer a wealth of information on the history, people, events, institutions, customs, and physical environment of Newark. These have now been digitized by the Newark Public Library and are available as a searchable database.
- Historic Newark: A Collection of the Facts & Traditions About the Most Interesting
- Fidelity Union Trust Company. Newark, 1916.
- Dana Call Number: F144 .N6F45 [NEWARK plus STACKS] Available?
- Newark: A Series of Engravings on Wood by Rudolph Ruzicka
- Walter Prichard Eaton. Newark, N.J., The Carteret Book Club, 1917. Available?
- Newark in Focus: A Profile from Census 2000. Part 1.
- Washington, D.C., Brookings Institution Center on Urban and Metropolitan Policy, 2003.
- A Living Cities: The National Community Development Initiative
databook. Looks at Newark in the context of the 23 cities in the Living
Cities group, as well as within the largest 100 cities in the nation.
Demographic and economic data pertaining to population, race and
ethnicity, immigration, age, households and families, education, work,
commuting, income and poverty, and housing.
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies