Skip to main content
The Newarker. A bulletin published semi-monthly during the celebration of the 100th anniversary of the incorporation of the city of Newark, New Jersey. March 1 to June 15, 1936. Available?
- Newark Tercentenary Committee Records (1966). "The Newark Tercentenary Committee was formed to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the founding of the City by highlighting its significance, industrial and commercial achievements, and cultural assets...Contents of the collection include legal documents, planning notes, correspondence, publications, memorabilia, ephemera, and photographs documenting the work of the Committee and reflecting public participation in Tercentenary events." Newark Museum Archives
- Newark's 300th Anniversary Collection (1964-1966) Newark Public Library collection; includes photographs, pamphlets, programs, clippings, mementoes and other artifacts.
- Newark's 300th Anniversary: Scrapbooks (1966-1967). Four scrapbooks containing newspaper articles, advertisements and images from the Newark Evening News regarding Newark's 300th Anniversary commemoration in 1966. Newark Public Library collection.
- Newark Remembers: Memory and Commemoration in America's 21st Century City
- Rosalie Jayde Uyola. Thesis (Ph.D.) Rutgers University Newark. 2015.
- "[E]xplores the relationship between public forms of commemoration and transformations in civic engagement in Newark, New Jersey, over the course of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries...By analyzing whose memories dominated public celebrations during three commemorative episodes—Newark’s celebration of its founding in 1916, its 40th anniversary commemorations of the 1967 civil disturbances, the 1969 student takeover of Rutgers University, and the 2013 remembrance of the deadliest fire in its history—as well as why such memories shaped the development of the city, my dissertation engages with and interprets commemoration and civic engagement as complex processes that have evolved over time in historically specific ways."
- NOTE: Access embargoed at author's request. Will become publicly available after May 31th, 2019.
- Proceedings Commemorative of the Settlement of Newark, New Jersey, on its Two Hundredth Anniversary, May 17th, 1866.
- Newark, N.J., New Jersey Historical Society, 1866.
- Contents: 1. Historical memoir, by William A. Whitehead.--2. Lyrical poem, by Thomas Ward.--3. Oration, by William B. Kinney.--4. Genealogical notices of the settlers, by Samuel H. Congar.--5. Notes. Available?
- 250th Ephemera
Prizewinning poster; Program of Events, May-October 1916; Members of the Committee of 100 and its subcommittees; commemorative stamps.
- "Know Your City" - Trees
- Carl Bannwart. Presented to the children of Newark by the Board of Education and the Shade Tree Commission. Arbor Day, Nineteen Sixteen.
- "We object to having the trees left out. If this is to be a jubilee year for the people of Newark, we propose that the trees also shall be feted...We can 'put this over' if the children of Newark help."
- An Oration Delivered at the Celebration of the Two Hundredth Anniversary of the Settlement of Newark.
- William B. Kinney. Newark, New Jersey Historical Society, 1866. Available?
- "Newark's 250th Anniversary Celebration,"
- Joseph F. Folsom. Proceedings of the New Jersey Historical Society. New Series Vol. 1, No. 3, 1916. pp. 113-128; "Additions and Corrections," p. 220.
- The Newark Posters Catalogue: Newark, New Jersey, Celebration of 250th Anniversary, 1916.
- Newark, N.J., Committee of One Hundred. Newark, N.J., Essex Press, 1915.
- Catalogue of the traveling exhibit resulting from the poster contest held in conjunction with the 250th anniversary.
- 250th Anniversary Celebration 1666-1916
- Some compiled materials at the "Old Newark" site. Anniversary posters, image from Leslie's Illustrated Weekly newspaper (June 1, 1916), and excerpts from the 1916 Common Council Manual.
- The Newark Anniversary Poems: Winners in the Poetry Competition Held in Connection with the 250th Anniversary Celebration of the Founding of the City of Newark, New Jersey May to October, 1916 together with the Official Newark Celebration Ode and Other Anniversary Poems--Grave and Gay.
- Henry Wellington Wack. Newark, The Committee of One Hundred, 1917.
- Ezra Pound was one of the winners.
- "Take Me Back to Dear Old Newark on it's Anniversary Celebration Day"
- Arthur H. Weberbauer, composer. Newark, Ellis Pub. Co., 1916
- Sheet music.
- Metropolitan Aspirations: Politics and Memory in Progressive Era Newark.
- Martin V. Minner. Thesis (Ph.D), Indiana University, 2005.
- "[F]ocuses on the 250th anniversary celebration held in Newark in 1916 and the range of media and civic events, such as a pageant, parades, poster and poetry contests, an industrial exhibition, statuary, and plans for a memorial building, that marked this civic celebration. The study argues that this massive commemorative event served primarily to promote civic identity, which in turn served a number of political ends."
- Dana Call Number: F144.N65M56 2005a [NEWARK plus STACKS] Available?
- 1916: The 250th Anniversary [Art]
- "Henry Gasser's Paintings of Newark,"
- American Artist 30 (9), November 1966, 48-53; 75-77.
- The six paintings commissioned by Prudential commemorating Newark's 300th anniversary plus earlier paintings exhibited for the occassion. Includes a commentary by the artist on the technique used for the paintings as well as some anecdotes from "painting on the street." Available?
- To Commemorate the 300th Anniversary of the City of Newark the Prudential Insurance Company of America Presents an Exhibition of Watercolors by Henry Gasser.
- Newark, N.J., Prudential, 1966. Available?
- An Artist Looks at Newark.
- Adolf Konrad. An exhibition in connection with the 300th anniversary of the city of Newark, the Newark Museum, April 16-September 5, 1966. Newark, N.J. : Newark Museum, 1966. Available?
- Silver in Newark: A Newark 300th Anniversary Study.
- J. Stewart Johnson. Newark, N.J., The Newark Museum Association, 1966. Available?
- Celebrating 175 Years.
- DVD-R. Filmed in the Bill Johnson Auditorium of Newark Museum on November 12, 2011.
- "Documents the 175th anniversary celebration of the incorporation of Newark, New Jersey, including speeches by Clement Price and Cory A. Booker as well as musical performances." Available?
- Newark at 350: Settlement. Growth. Renewal
- Thomas Ankner, Newark Public Library, 2016.
- Catalog of Newark Public Library exhibit on view January 19 - December 31, 2016.
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies