Skip to main content
Other Newark Libraries
The New Jersey Institute of Technology. The Architecture Library at NJIT is building a growing collection of digital materials dealing with the Newark built environment. The Digital Archive of Newark Architecture includes newspaper and journal articles (restricted access), books, atlases, maps, government documents, and other materials.
Libraries with Newark Collections
- Rutgers Library Catalog
- The online catalog for the Rutgers University Libraries
includes a significant portion of the Sinclair New Jersey Collection,
the most comprehensive collection of New Jersey materials in the state. The Sinclair Collection (sublocation SNCLNJ)
is part of the Libraries' Special Collections and University Archives, located within the Alexander Library on the New Brunswick campus.
- The Rutgers John Cotton Dana Library in Newark also has a substantial collection of Newark-related materials in their NEWARK collection.
- Newark Public Library Catalog
- The Library's Charles F Cummings New Jersey Information Center
has a wealth of materials on New Jersey, Essex County, and Newark.
Anyone who lives, works, attends school, or owns property in the City
of Newark is entitled to a free Newark Public Library card. The Library
Catalog also includes the holdings of the Newark Museum and the New
Jersey Historical Society.
- The Newark Public Library also has a wonderful Digital Collection; a growing collection of photographs, newspapers, maps, city directories, and other documents from the Cummings New Jersey Information Center, NPL Special Collections, and the New Jersey Hispanic Research Information Center.
- New Jersey Historical Society.
- The New Jersey Historical Society in Newark
has a rich collection of archival and other materials relating to the
political, social, cultural and economic history of New Jersey.
Their book holdings are included in the Newark Public Library Catalog; you can also browse the Finding Aids to
NJHS collections. Note: The New Jersey Historical Society Library is currently open 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm Tuesdays thru Saturdays. There is a $5 admission fee for non-members.
- The City of Newark Archives and Records Management Center
- The City of Newark Archives and Records Management Center at 295 Halsey Street is a central repository for the records of Newark city departments back to the 19th century. Users looking for particular information or documents may submit a request with the City Clerk's Office at the Newark City Hall. (920 Broad Street, Room 415, Phone: 973/733-3844) Or you can make an appointment to visit the Archives Reading Room (Phone: 973/733-5607; Email: email@example.com). List of Collections [From the Newark Archives Project]
- Ironbound Environmental Justice History and Resource Center
- A project of the Ironbound Community Corporation of Newark, the IEJHRC is housed at the Van Buren Branch of the Newark Public Library (140 Van Buren Street) and is open to the public.
- The Newark Archives Project
- The Newark Archives Project is creating detailed descriptions of primary materials relating to Newark that are available in repositories in Newark and elsewhere. The collections described include papers of individuals and families; records of government agencies, organizations, and businesses; photographs and film; audio collections; and more. A wonderful, and growing, resource for finding archival materials on Newark!
, Course Guides (Newark)
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies