Skip to main content
Newark City Archives
The City of Newark Archives and Records Management Center at 295 Halsey Street is a central repository for the records of Newark city departments back to the 19th century. Users looking for particular information or documents may submit a request with the City Clerk's Office at the Newark City Hall. (920 Broad Street, Room 415, Phone: 973/733-3844) Or you can make an appointment to visit the Archives Reading Room (Phone: 973/733-5607; Email: email@example.com). List of Collections [From the Newark Archives Project]
Annual Reports: Officials & Departments
- Message of ...Mayor of the City of Newark.
- Rutgers Special Collections has: 1863; 1869; 1886; 1889; 1890; 1892; 1894; 1898; 1905; 1908.Available?
- Message of...Mayor of the City of Newark
- Full text available from Hathi Trust: 1903-1911; 1915.
- Message of...[the] Mayor, Together With the Reports of City Officers of the City of Newark, N.J.
- Mayor's message; summary financial and statistical reports; annual report of the city treasurer; and detailed reports from individual city departments.
Rutgers Special Collections has: 1872; 1876; 1879; 1883; 1890.Available?
- The Mayor's Message Together With the Reports of the City Officers...
- Full text available from Hathi Trust: 1873, 1874; 1880; 1883; 1885; 1887; 1890; 1891.
The City of Newark Archives and Records Management Center has the printed "Message with Reports" for 1869, 1871-1915.
- Reports of City Officers of the City of Newark, N.J.
- Full text available from Hathi Trust: 1877; 1884; 1886; 1890; 1891; 1893; 1910; 1914; 1917; 1918.
- Reports of City Officers of Newark, N.J.
- Full text available from Hathi Trust: 1902-1909.
- Annual Report of the Auditor of Accounts
- Newark, N.J., Department of Revenue and Finance
1912, 1914-1922 available in full-text. 1924-1932, 1934 search only.
The City of Newark Archives and Records Management Center has a collection of individual department reports spanning 1900-1994.
Newark Municipal Documents Collection
The Newark Municipal Documents collection consists of microfiche of assorted annual reports and other documents produced by Newark city departments and agencies between 1973 and 1996. The fiche are housed with the Dana Newark collection and are available for in-house use from the Dana Library Reference Desk.
The following departments and agencies are included in the collection. Note that these are selected publications and only one or two reports may be available from a specific agency or department.
- Board of Education
- Central Planning Board
- 1978 Newark Master Plan only.
- City of Newark
- Includes 1986-1989 budgets.
- Council for Higher Education
- Department of Administration
- Division of Central Purchasing
- Includes 1979-1983 annual reports.
- Divison of Budget
- Department of Development
- Department of Engineering
- Includes 1975-1994 annual reports
- Department of Finance
- Department of General Services
- Department of Health & Welfare
- Includes 1973-1978 annual reports
- Department of Law
- Department of Public Works
- Includes 1974-1978 annual reports
- Department of Recreation & Park
- Includes 1973-1983 annual reports [not all years].
- Division of Rent Control
- Fire Department
- Includes 1973-1981 & 1989-1996 annual reports.
- Health Planning Advisory Council
- Housing Authority
- Mayor's Policy & Development Office
- Miscellaneous Annual Reports
- Municipal Council
- Includes Council Minutes 1989-1990 and 1995.
- Neighborhood Consumer Services
- Includes 1979/80-1981/82 annual reports.
- Newark Economic Development Corp
- Newark Private Industry Council
- Office of Consumer Action
- Office of the Mayor
- Human Rights Commission
- Mayor's Office of Employment & Training
- Parking Authority
- Public Library
- Includes 1974-1979 annual reports.
- Real Estate Commission
- Redevelopment and Housing Authority
- Regional Health Planning Council
- Watershed Conservation and Development Corp.
Subjects:African American Studies
, American Studies
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies