Skip to main content
Newark Dept. of Economic & Housing Development
- Towers of Frustration [Videorecording].
Washington, D.C., Public Television Library, 1971.
"Focuses on the Stella Wright housing project in Newark, N.J. Explores
the problems confronting residents in many of the country's
large, impersonal and crime-ridden public housing projects." Available?
Housing: From the 60s to the Present
- Analysis of the Newark, New Jersey Housing Market as of May 1, 1965.
- Washington, D.C., Federal Housing Administration. 1965.
- Special Collections Call Number: SNCLY2 HD7304 .N6U55 1961 Available?
- Public Housing in Newark's Central Ward.
- A report by the New Jersey State Advisory Committee to the United States Commission on Civil Rights. Washington, 1968.
- Dana Call Number: NEWARK HD7314.N6A3 Available?
- The Tenement Landlord.
- George Sternlieb. New Brunswick, N.J., Urban Studies Center, 1966.
- Dana Call Number: HD7304 .N6S74 [NEWARK plus STACKS] Available?
- The War Zone: A Story of Christopher Columbus Homes, Newark, New Jersey Projects, War Stories, People Who Lived There
- George Langston Cook. S.I., Lulu.com, 2008. Available?
- "Housing Vacancy Analysis,"
- George Sternlieb and Bernard Indik. Land Economics 45(1), February 1969, 117-121.
- Analysis of housing vacancies in Newark 1960-1967. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Housing Costs and Housing Restraints: Newark, New Jersey.
- Robert W. Burchell, James W. Hughes, and George Sternlieb. New Brunswick, N.J., Center for Urban Policy Research, 1970.
- Dana Call Number: NEWARK HD7304 .N5B78 Available?
- Residential Abandonment: The Tenement Landlord Revisited.
- George Sternlieb and Robert W. Hughes. New Brunswick, Center for Urban Policy Research, 1973.
- Dana Call Number: HD7304 .N6S68 [NEWARK plus STACKS] Available?
- "Housing Abandonment in the Urban Core,"
- George Sternlieb et. al. Journal of the American Institute of Planners 40(5), 1974, 321-332.
- Examines the abandonment decisions of a sample of Newark landlords.
- Dana Call Number: Periodical, Shelved by Title
- Residential Mortgage Lending in the City of Newark, 1974-1975.
- Newark, N.J., Rutgers University. Office of Newark Studies. 1976.
- Dana Call Number: NEWARK HG2040.5 .U6N55 Available?
- Race, Housing Value and Housing Abandonment: A Case Study of Newark.
- Franklin J. James. Thesis (Ph.D.), Columbia University, 1980.
- Dana Call Number: HD7288.85 .N42J35 1980a [NEWARK plus STACKS] Available?
- "Large-Scale Urban Riots and Residential Segregation: A Case Study of the 1960s U.S. Riots"
- Noli Brazil. Demography 53(2), April 2016, 567-595.
- Uses 1960s U.S. race riot data to investigate trends in black residential segregation levels following large-scale riot activity in seven major U.S. cities, including Newark. Rutgers-restricted Access
- "Municipal Boundaries in a Discriminatory Housing Market: An Example of Racial Leapfrogging,"
- Jonathan M. Rich. Urban Studies 21(1), February 1984, 31-40.
- Examines a pattern of "leapfrogging" whereby Newark blacks moved into East Orange jumping over a more affluent neighborhood in the inner city in the process. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Accessible Housing for Low-Income Tenants With Physical Disabilities Following the 1988 Fair Housing Act Ammendments: Outcome and Processes in Four Cities: A Dissertation in Social Welfare.
- Meg Koppel. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Pennsylvania, 2006.
- Dana Call Number: HD7287.95 .U6K67 2006a [NEWARK plus STACKS] Available?
- "The Newark Tenant Rent Strike: Public Housing Policy and Black Municipal Governance,"
- Laura Maslow-Armand. Patterns of Prejudice 20(4), 1986, 17-30.
- Volume not owned by the Rutgers Libraries
- "From Courts to Open Space to Streets: Changes in the Site Design of U.S. Public Housing,"
- Karen A. Franck and Michael Mostoller. Journal of Architectural and Planning Research 12, Autumn 1995, 186-220.
- Based on a study of public housing in Newark, examines how the principles of public hoursing design have changed over the last 60 years.
- Volume not owned by the Rutgers Libraries
- City of Newark FY 1995 HUD Consolidated Plan
- Includes sections on "Housing and Homeless Needs Assessment;" "Housing Market Analysis;" a "Strategic Plan;" and an "Action Plan."
- "The Case of Newark, USA"
- Mara S. Sidney. IN Understanding Slums: Case Studies for the Global Report on Human Settlements 2003. UN-Habitat, Development Planning Unit, 2003.
- One of a "set of studies of slum conditions, policies and strategies...compiled in preparation for the United Nations Global Report on Human Settlements 2003 The Challenge of Slums."
- The Box & Beyond: Urban Design for Infill Houses in Newark
- Newark, Division of Planning and Community Development, January 2009.
- "This booklet looks at the most plentiful type of private structure in
Newark, the small multifamily house, and how it connects with the
public spaces of the City." Part of a major rezoning project designed to improve the design quality of new dwellings that get built on the city’s 25’ to 50’ wide lots.
- "Geographies of Mortgage Market Segmentation: The Case of Essex County, New Jersey,"
- Kathe Newman and Elvin K. Wyly. Housing Studies 19(1), January 2004, 53-83.
- Focusing on Newark and its surrounding suburbs, analyses the market penetration of subprime lending institutions, assesses the role of borrower characteristics, and analyses the patterns of mortgage 'pre-foreclosures.' Rutgers-restricted Access
- Newark, Decline and Avoidance, Renaissance and Desire: From Disinvestment to Reinvestment,
- Kathe Newman. Annals of the American Academy of Political & Social Science 594, July 2004, 34-48.
- In the 1990s local governments came to recognize the importance of neighborhood revitalization for economic development. Looks at the dynamics of revitalization efforts in two of Newark s poorest neighborhoods, West Side Park and Brick Towers, and community efforts to save Brick Towers. Rutgers-restricted Access
- "The New Economy and the City: Foreclosures in Essex County, New Jersey."
- Kathe Newman. IN Subprime Cities: The Polical Economy of Mortgage Markets. Manuel B. Aalbers. Chichester, Wiley-Blackwell, 2012, pp. 219-241. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Shadowed by the Shadow Inventory: A Newark, New Jersey Case Study of Stalled Foreclosures & Their Consequences
- Linda Fisher. Seton Hall Public Law Research Paper no. 2284481. June 24, 2013. "This empirical project tests the extent to which bank stalling has contributed to foreclosure delays and property vacancies in Newark, New Jersey."
- Our Homes, Our Newark: Foreclosures, Toxic Mortgages, and Blight in the City of Newark
- Christopher Niedt and Stephen McFarland. National Center for Suburban Studies at Hofstra University, 2014[?].
Subjects:African American Studies
, American Studies
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies