Skip to main content
Newark Housing Through the 1950s
- "The Evolution of the Modern Urban Core: The Implications of Newark's Late Nineteenth-Century Housing and Population Patterns,"
- Ronald A. Forresta. IN New Jersey's Ethnic Heritage: Papers Presented at the Eight Annual New Jersey History Symposium, December 4, 1976. Edited by Paul A. Stellhorn. Trenton, New Jersey Historical Commission, 1978, pp.72-92.
- Dana Call Number: Ref. F145 .A1N48 1976 Available?
- Housing Report to The City Plan Commission of Newark, N.J..
- E.P.Goodrich and George B. Ford. Newark N.J., Press of Matthew Plum, 1913.
- "Tent City to Provide Housing?,"
- American Architect 115(2262), April 30, 1919, 616.
- Proposal to build a 'tent city' to temporarily relieve housing congestion in Newark. Rutgers-restricted Access
- "The House Shortage--Newark, New Jersey, Relieves the Situation by
Erecting a 'Tent City'
- Outlook, June 2, 1920, 218. Photograph Rutgers-restricted Access
- Survey of Housing Conditions in Newark.
- Housing Authority of the City of Newark. Newark, N.J., 1940.
- Dana Call Number: NEWARK HD7304 .N6A4 Available?
- "'But Not Next Door': Housing Discrimination and the Emergence
of the 'Second Ghetto' in Newark, New Jersey After World War II"
- Yutaka Sasaki. The Japanese Journal of American Studies No. 5, 1993-94, 113-135.
- Looks at the forces behind black residential segregation in Newark central city neighborhoods between 1940 and 1960.
- Migrant War Workers in Newark.
- Housing Authority of the City of Newark. Newark, N.J., 1944.
- Dana Call Number: NEWARK HD5726 .N53H6 Available?
- Study of the Social Effects of Public Housing in Newark, N.J..
- Housing Authority of the City of Newark. Newark, N.J., 1944. Reprint
- Study conducted by Jay Rumney and Sara Shuman for the Housing Authority of the City of Newark.
- Dana Call Number: NEWARK HD7304 .N6H6 2005 Available?
- The Cost of Slums in Newark.
- Housing Authority of the City of Newark. Newark, N.J., 1946
- Special Collections Call Number: SNCLY HV4046 .N6R8 Available?
- Integration of Racial Minorities in Public Housing Projects: A Guide for Local Housing Authorities on How To Do It.
- Edward Rutledge. New York, Public Housing Administration, 1951.
- "A preliminary outline suggested for use by LHAs in New York and New Jersey." Uses Newark Housing Authority as the example. Available?
- Newark, Newark Commission for Neighborhood Conservation and Rehabilitation, [1958?].
- Report of the Newark Commission for Neighborhood Conservation and Rehabilitation, whose "objective is Better Housing For All Of The People Of Newark through law enforcement, slum clearance, neighborhood conservation, additional housing, rehabilitation and education."
- Urban Renewal Politics: Slum Clearance in Newark.
- Harold Kaplan. New York, N.Y., Columbia University, 1963.
- Focuses on the Newark Housing Authority and how they launched nine slum
projects during the first 10 years of Title 1 of the 1949 Federal
Housing Act. Looks at urban renewal as a political process.
- Dana Call Number: HT177 .N54K2 [NEWARK plus STACKS] Available?
Subjects:African American Studies
, American Studies
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies