NPO: the Newark Planning Office. "NPO guides and informs private and public development across Newark’s 24 square miles. Through its administration of the Central Planning Board, Zoning Board of Adjustment, and Landmarks & Historic Preservation Commission, the NPO works with development teams and Newark’s communities to create valuable, walkable, and well-planned improvements to the city’s landscape." Site includes current redevelopment plans; current and historic master plans; an interactive Newark zoning map; and a Newark public art map
Under authority of the act of March 30, 1911, enabling cities of the first class to appoint City Plan Commissions, on June 1, 1911 Mayor Haussling appointed the following citizens as members of the Newark City Plan Commission to serve for a term of one year: Frederic Bigelow, John Cotton Dana, Christian W. Feigenspan, David Grotta, Frederick J. Keer, John H. Kehoe, Austen H. McGregor, Samuel E. Robertson, and Gustavus Staehlin.
Newark Master Plans
In 1914 Newark hired Harland Bartholomew, who had studied civil engineering at Rutgers College, as the first full-time municipally employed city planner in the United States. He was responsible for the first comprehensive Newark city plan (completed 1915); the 1947 Newark plan was also prepared by his firm, Harland Bartholomew & Associates.