Upcoming Newark Events
Monday, Apr 14, 2014 to Saturday, Aug 30, 2014: The Newark Public Library: 125 Years of Innovation and Service An exhibit of photographs and other historic materials.
Monday, Jul 28, 2014: Inside Newark: Decline, Rebellion, and the Search for Transformation Panel discussion and booksigning marking the publication of Robert Curvin's new book. Richard Cammarieri, Rebecca Doggett, and Warren Grover. Moderated by Walter Chambers.
Newark on Film
A Walk Through Newark. New York, Thirteen/WNET, 2002.
David Hartman and Historian Barry Lewis offer a guided tour of Newark.
Dana Media Call Number: VIDEO 2193
The Once and Future Newark. Newark, Rutgers University, 2006.
Tour of Newark sites chosen for their broad cultural, social and historical significance. Hosted by Dr. Clement Alexander Price.
Dana Media Call Number: DVD 324
Once and Future Newark
YouTube, in 13 segments.
Brick City. First Run Features, 2009.
5 part series documenting several months in the history of Newark. Focuses on several distinct characters, including Mayor Cory Booker and his attempts to rejuvenate the city.
Dana Media Call Number: DVD 492
Streaming Video Rutgers-restricted Access
- City of Newark, NJ
- The official municipal site.
- Newark Neighborhoods
- Brief overview of each Newark ward, including some historical information.
- Newark Landmarks
- List of Newark sites (historic districts, buildings, parks, cemeteries, and statuary) included on the National and New Jersey Registers of Historic Places. The National Register of Historic Places Inventory for Newark, which contains detailed information for each historic site, has been digitized and is available from the New Jersey Institute of Technology.
- Newark: Places to Go
- Art, culture, and recreation centers in Newark.
- A Day in the Life of Newark: An Exhibit of Photographs and Accompanying Narratives by Students of the Newark Public Schools Depicting Images Seen Around the City of Newark, New Jersey.
- Newark, N.J., Newark Public Schools, 2004.
- Dana Call Number: F144 .N6D3 2004 [NEWARK plus FOLIO] Available?
- Old Newark
- Glen Geisheimer's treasure trove of information on Newark since its inception to the present. "Historical Menu" includes links to photographs (2000+), biographies, business histories, cemetaries, maps, newspaper lists, census information (including lists of orphanage residents), a street and ward index, and indexes to Newark births and marriages. The Your Newark Memories page has over 900 narratives of Newark in former times, while the Newark Immigrants section includes basic information on the history of Newark's Chinese, German, Italian, Irish, and Jewish settlers. Searchable.
The late Charles Cummings' "Knowing Newark" columns, which appeared in the Newark Star-Ledger from March 7, 1996 to December 29, 2005, offer a wealth of information on the history, people, events, institutions, customs, and physical environment of Newark.
- Historic Newark: A Collection of the Facts & Traditions About the Most Interesting Sites.
- Fidelity Union Trust Company. Newark, 1916.
- Dana Call Number: F144 .N6F45 [NEWARK plus STACKS] Available?
- Newark in Focus: A Profile from Census 2000. Part 1. Part 2.
- Washington, D.C., Brookings Institution Center on Urban and Metropolitan Policy, 2003.
- A Living Cities: The National Community Development Initiative databook. Looks at Newark in the context of the 23 cities in the Living Cities group, as well as within the largest 100 cities in the nation. Demographic and economic data pertaining to population, race and ethnicity, immigration, age, households and families, education, work, commuting, income and poverty, and housing.