Skip to main content
The National Geologic Map Database
- The National Geologic Map Database
- The USGS national digital geoscience archive and map database. Created in partnership with the National Cooperative Geologic Mapping Program and the American Association of State Geologists, this online resources provides access to current as well as historical maps and other related geographic, cartographic, and scientific materials.
Other Map and Geographical Databases
- Atlapedia Online
- Online database of political and physical maps, facts, and statistics of countries worldwide.
- Current Geographical Publications (CGP)
- Current Geographical Publications (CGP) is an open access, non-profit service to the scholarly community. The site provides access to an extensive, searchable list of publications in the fields of geography and related areas.
- Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names® Online
- A resource of the Getty Research Institute, the TGN database provides access to geographical nomenclature, terminology, and data. Though the coverage is worldwide, the primary focus is on areas of historical, cultural, and artistic significance.
- LOC Digital Collection: Sanborn Maps
- The Library of Congress' digital archive of the Sanborn Map Collection.
- LOC Map Search Digital Collections
- A global search for maps and related materials within all of the Library of Congress' Digital Archival Collections.
- Map History / History of Cartography
- Extensive searchable resource to both online and offline free information about historical maps.
- National Geographic Maps
- Online archive and index to the Society's collection of National Geographic maps and related articles.
- New Jersey Historical Maps Portal
- A resource of RUcore: Rutgers University Community Repository, the New Jersey Historical Maps Portal to access RUL's Special Collections and Archives digital maps online.
- NGA GEOnet Names Server (GNS)
- The GEONet Names Server is official repository of all standard spellings of all foreign geographic names, under the auspice of the United States Board of Geographic Names.
- Office of Coast Survey's Historical Map & Chart Collection
- Online archive of historical maps of the United States, including territories and possessions, past and present. All materials are free to download.
- Real Estate Atlases
- The State Library of Massachusetts digital archive of maps, atlas' and related historic geographical materials for communities within the state.
- The Geographic Names Information System (GNIS)
- Developed by the U.S. Geologic Survey and the U.S. Board on Geographic Names, GNIS is the Federal and national standard for U.S. geographic names.
Subjects:African American Studies
, American Studies
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies