Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Summer of Love. "A look into the hippie revolution of San Francisco during the '60s, and how the free love and music turned into a life of drug use, violence, and broken dreams." Rutgers-restricted Access
Ed Sullivan's Rock 'n' Roll Classics. 9 DVDs. A collection of early rock and roll legends performing on the Ed Sullivan Show, along with archival footage and narration for insight on the artists, their eras, and their classic appearances. Available?
History and Concept of Hip-Hop Dance.This documentary explores the history and scope of the Hip-Hop dance style, from how it was first introduced to mainstream America in the early 1970s as break dancing (or b-boying) to discussions of how Hip-Hop has evolved and where it's headed. Rutgers-restricted Access
Through the Years of Hip Hop. Explores the first element of Hip hop -- Graffiti, taking us back to the streets of Philly and NYC during the 1970's. Available?
Database: Music Index Online
- Girl Groups, Girl Culture: Popular Music and Identity in the 1960s.
- Jacqueline Warwick. New York, Routledge, 2007. Available?
- This is Our Music: Free Jazz, the Sixties, and American Culture.
- Iain Anderson. Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania Press, 2007. Available?
- Sixties Rock: Garage, Psychedelic, and Other Satisfactions.
- Michael Hicks. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1999. Available?
- Fire and Rain: The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, James Taylor, CSNY, and the Lost Story of 1970.
- David Browne. Cambridge, MA, Da Capo Press, 2011. Available?
- This Ain't the Summer of Love: Conflict and Crossover in Heavy Metal and Punk.
- Steve Waksman. Berkeley, University of California Press, 2009. Available?
- Punk Rock: So What?: The Cultural Legacy of Punk
- Roger Sabin. New York, Routledge, 1999. Available?
- Punk Rock An Oral History
- John Robb and Oliver Craske. Oakladn, CA., PM Press, 2012. Available?
- Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk.
- Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain. New York, Penguin Books, 1997. Available?
- Yes Yes Y'all: The Experience Music Project Oral History of Hip-Hop's First Decade.
- Jim Fricke, Charlie Ahearn. Cambridge, MA., Da Capo Press, 2002. Available?
- Can't Stop, Won't Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation.
- Jeff Chang. New York, Picador, 2006. Available?
- Salsa Rising: New York Latin Music of the Sixties Generation
- Juan Flores. New York, Oxford University Press, 2016. Available?
- The Book of Salsa: A Chronicle of Urban Music From the Caribbean to New York City
- Cesar Miguel Rondon; Frances R. Aparicio; and Jackie White. Chapel Hill, University of North Carolina Press, 2008. Available?
- Sounding Salsa: Performing Latin Music in New York City.
- Christopher Washburne. Philadelphia, Temple University Press, 2008. Available?
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies