Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
You can use historical newspapers to find out how issues and events were reported during a specific time in history.
The Alternative Press
Alternative Press Index. 1969- . Index to journals, magazines, and newspapers offering an alternative, radical, or left perspective. Online beginning with 1991. Available?
From Radical Left to Extreme Right: A Bibliography of Current Periodicals of Protest, Controversy, Advocacy, or Dissent. 3 vols. 2d ed. Robert H. Muller. Ann Arbor, Campus Publishers, 1970-1976. Available?
Censorship of the Alternative Press: A Descriptive Study of the Social and Political Control of Radical Periodicals (1964-1973). Ruth Marie Eshenaur. Thesis, Southern Illinois University, 1975. Available?
Finding Newspaper Articles From the 1960s and 1970s
- Proquest Historical Newspapers: Combined Search
- search across the six ProQuest historical newspapers that the Libraries subscribe to: the Chicago Defender (1910-1975), the New York Times (1851- three years prior to the current year), the Philadelphia Inquirer (November 7, 1860 – December 31, 2001), the Pittsburgh Gazette (August 29, 1786 – December 31, 2003), the Wall Street Journal (1889-1999), and the Washington Post (1877-2000). Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Historical New York Times
- Allows you to search and display the full image of articles published in the New York Times back to 1851. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Historical Washington Post
- Search and display the full image of articles published in the Washington Post between 1877 and 2000. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Chicago Defender
- The Chicago Defender was the most influential African-American newspaper of the 20th century. With the majority of its readership outside the Chicago region, it served as the
de facto national black newspaper in the U.S. Search and display the full text of articles published between 1910 and 1975. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Ethnic NewsWatch
- Full text collection of articles from newspapers, magazines and journals of the ethnic, minority and native press back to 1960. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Southern Courier
- Based in Montgomery, Alabama, the Southern Courier provided objective coverage of the civil rights struggle in the South. 1965-1968.
Other Newspapers at Rutgers
Many other newspapers are available at Rutgers on microfilm.
In general you would check for newspapers in the Rutgers Libraries in the same way that you would check for any other periodical--do a QuickSearch Journal Search with the title as your search term.
Not Available at Rutgers?
The Rutgers Libraries are members of the Center for Research Libraries, which has a large collection of newspapers on microfilm. Rutgers students and faculty may borrow microfilm reels via Interlibrary Loan.
The The New York Public Library has a large collection of newspapers, including a number of newspapers that are available online. (These would need to be used on-site).
Not Sure What the Local Newspapers Were?
- Newspapers in Microform. United States.
- Washington : Library of Congress, 2 vols.
- Lists newspapers published in the U.S. by state, city, and title. Available?
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies