Skip to main content
The Vietnam War
- Encyclopedia of the Vietnam War: A Political, Social, and Military History
- Spencer C. Tucker, editor. Santa Barbara, Calif., ABC-CLIO, 1998.
- More than 900 signed entries, most with brief bibliographies. Considers all aspects of the war in historical context, including Vietnam-related literature and film. Extensive collection of historical documents (1920-1995). Rutgers-restricted Access
- Vietnam War Bibliography: Oral Histories.
- Compiled by Dr. Edwin Moise (Clemson University). Print resources with online links when available.
Protesting the War
To find relevant books and other materials in QuickSearch search the subject terms: Vietnam War, 1961-1975 Protest Movements
- Campus Wars: The Peace Movement at American State Universities in the Vietnam Era
- Kenneth J. Heineman. New York, New York University Press, 1993.
- The history of protest movements at four state universities: Michigan State, Penn State, Kent State, and the State University of New York in Buffalo. Available?
- Winter Soldiers: An Oral History of the Vietnam Veterans Against the War.
- Richard Stacewicz. New York, Twayne Publishers, 1997. Available?
- "Doves in a Hawk's Nest: Vietnam and the American Peace Movement: 1965-1975: Part 1"
- Vietnam Generation Journal 4 (3-4), November 1992.
- GIs United Against the War in Vietnam: Statement of Aims.
- Decade of Protest: Political Posters from the United States, Cuba, and Vietnam 1965-1975.
- Exhibit held at Track 16 Gallery, January 19-March 9, 1996.
The War in the Media
To find relevant books and other materials in the Library Catalog search the subject terms:
Vietnam War, 1961-1975 Mass Media and the War
Vietnam War, 1961-1975 Press Coverage
- Communication and Mass Media Complete
- Full-text coverage of more than 280 journals plus citation coverage for many more. Many major journals searchable back to early 1900s. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Reporting Vietnam: American Journalism, 1959-1975
- New York, Library of America, 2000. Available?
- Vietnam on Television
- David Hallin. Overview with bibliography. From the Museum of Broadcast Communications.
- Media and the Vietnam War: A Bibliography.
- From the Sixties Project.
The Pentagon Papers
- The Day the Presses Stopped: A History of the Pentagon Papers Case.
- David Rudenstine. Berkeley, CA., University of California Press, 1996. Available?
- Pentagon Papers: Report of the Office of the Secretary of Defense Vietnam Task Force.
- Washington, D.C., National Archives, 2011.
- On the 40th anniversary of the initial leak of portions of the Pentagon Papers, the National
Archives released a complete copy of the original 7,000 page report along with numerous copies of different volumes of the report, all declassified. Approximately 34% of the report is available for the first time.
- The Pentagon Papers: Secrets, Lies and Audiotapes. (The Nixon Tapes and the Supreme Court Tape)
- National Security Archive Electronic Briefing Book Number 48. Audio and transcripts of telephone and meeting conversations detailing reactions of President Nixon and his aides to the release of the Pentagon Papers; arguments and briefs of the resulting Supreme Court case; the secret briefs and evidence submited to the Court; and the Supreme Court decision.
- Toxic War: The Story of Agent Orange.
- Peter Sills. Nashville, Vanderbilt University Press, 2014. Available?
- Operation Ranch Hand: the Air Force and Herbicides in Southeast Asia, 1961-1971
- William A. Buckingham. Washington, D.C., Office of Air Force History, 1982.
- "This history has been written primarily from documents which are, or were at one time, in files of the Department of Defense and its subordinate agencies.
- Veterans and Agent Orange: Health Effects of Herbicides Used in Vietnam
- National Academy of Sciences. Institute of Medicine. 1994.
- Update 2014. 2016
- A literature review has been conducted every two years since the publication of the original report. Each update reviews peer-reviewed scientific reports concerning associations between health outcomes and exposure to TCDD and other chemicals in the herbicides used in Vietnam that were published in in that period and integrates this information with the previously established evidence database."
- Public Hearing Before Assembly Veterans' Affairs and Defense Committee: The Effectiveness of the Department of Military and Veterans' Affairs in Responding to the Needs and Concerns of Vietnam Era Veterans, Particularly Focusing on the Department's Handling of the New Jersey Agent Orange Commission and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Counseling: March 13, 1989
- Trenton, N.J., 1989. Available?
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies