The Sixties on Film
America in the 20th Century: The Sixties
Part of the American History in Video series. The 1960 elections, the Civil Rights Movement, school integration, the Vietnam War, protest movements, etc.
The Seventies on Film
1970-1976. The History Channel, 1991. Streaming video. Historical events covered include: Kent State University Riot, May 4, 1970; Nixon Resigns as U.S. President, 1974; Roe v. Wade, Supreme Court Decision, U.S., January 22, 1973; Watergate Scandal, 1972-1975 & United States Bicentennial, 1976.
1976-1990. The History Channel, 1991. Streaming video.
The Century. 1971-1975: Approaching the Apocalypse. A specially produced ABC series. Presented by Peter Jennings. 1999. Available?
Picking Up the Pieces. Alexandria, Va., PBS Video, 1991. "This program traces the end of the decade through the early seventies when the anti-war movement became mainstream, when worries about revolution faded away and political action took a more personal turn."Available?
1960s: Some Basic Resources
- The Sixties Project: Archive of Online Resources
- Primary and secondary resources.
- Encyclopedia of the Sixties: A Decade of Culture and Counterculture
- James S. Baugess and Abbe Allen DeBolt, editors. Santa Barbara, Calif., Greenwood, 2012. 2 volumes.
- Over 500 entries with bibliographies on people, organizations, and events of the 60s. Available?
- "Takin' It To the Streets": A Sixties Reader
- Alexander Bloom and Wini Breines. 3rd edition. New York, Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Primary documents focusing on social protest movements. Available?
- America in the Sixties--Right, Left, and Center: A Documentary History.
- Edited by Peter B. Levy. Westport, Conn., Greenwood Press, 1998. Available?
1970s: Some Basic Resources
- The 1970s: A New Global History From Civil Rights to Economic Inequality.
- Thomas Borstelmann. Princeton, N.J., Princeton University Press, 2012. Available?
- America in the Seventies.
- Edited by Beth Bailey and David Farber. Lawrence, University of Kansas, 2004. Available?
- The Seventies: The Great Shift in American Culture, Society, and Politics.
- Bruce J. Schulman. New York, Free Press, 2001. Available?
- Historical Dictionary of the 1970s.
- Edited by James S. Olson. Westport, Conn., Greenwood Press, 1999. Available?
- 70 Historic Moments from the 1970s
- 72 photographs of "70 of the most unforgettable moments of the decade" from cnn.com.