Skip to main content
Ancestry's NJ Research Guide
New Jersey County Histories
Basic Genealogical Resources
- Genealogical Resources: Archibald S. Alexander Library
- In addition to the unpublished resources available in Rutgers' Special Collection and University Archives, this guide also lists the major printed resources for New Jersey genealogical research available in the Sinclair New Jersey Collection.
- Vital Records in New Jersey
- How to obtain New Jersey birth, death, marriage, divorce and other vital records.
- NJ State Archives Searchable Databases and Records Request Forms
- The Archives have created a series of databases that index documents and photographs in the State Archives' collections. Included are Birth, Marriage, and Death Records; Land, Probate, and Court Records; Military and Wartime Records; and Photographs.
- NJGenWeb Genealogical & Historical Societies
- Directory of New Jersey genealogical and historical societies.
- New Jersey Genealogy & LDS Family History Centers
- Family history centers are branches of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, the largest genealogical library in the world. The FHL circulates about 100,000 rolls of microfilm records to family history centers every month for public use. To identify materials that are available for circulation to Family History Centers, search the FHL Library Catalog.
- National Archives at New York City
- The regional NARA office maintains archival records for federal agencies and courts for New Jersey and New York. Collection includes Federal population censuses for all States, 1790-1930; indexes for the 1880, 1900, 1910, and 1920 censuses; indexes to selected passengers arrival records for Eastern and Gulf Coast ports; and indexes to selected naturalization records processed through Federal courts in New Jersey and New York.
, Course Guides (Newark)
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies