Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
State of the Cities
- The American Metropolis at Century's End: Past and Future Influences
- Report of a survey, led by Robert Fishman (Rutgers University-Camden), of urban specialists who were asked to identify the key influences which shaped American cities in the past 50 years, as well as those most likely to shape cities in the future. Sponsored by the Fannie Mae Foundation.
- Brookings Institution's Metropolitan Policy Program
- The mission and focus of the Metropolitan Policy Program is supporting economic research and developing solutions to assist metropolitan leaders, as well as their communities.
- State of the Cities Data Systems: Profile Reporting of SOCDS Principal Cities
- Summary census data for 723 U.S. principal cities. Includes data on labor force (employment, unemployment rate, place of work, resident occupation, residents by occupation and industry); race/ethnicity; "where we're from;" educational attainment; poverty and income; families with children by type of family; housing units; rent and income; and property and violent crime rates.
- State of the Cities Data Systems
- Data on 542 central cities and 10,744 metropolitan suburban places. In addition to demographic, employment, and business data, the SOCDS also contains data on high tech jobs in cities, suburbs, and metropolitan areas, as well as house values and rents, and crime rates. "Fast Look" option allows user to view data tables for one or more selected cities. The SOCDS also includes Comprehensive Housing Affordability Strategy (CHAS) data showing housing problems and the availability of affordable housing for states, counties, and places, as well as Urban Finance data (public expenditures, revenues, and employees) for cities and metropolitan areas.
- Urban Institute Research of Record: Cities and Neighborhoods
- Includes large collection of publications (reports, working papers, press releases, presentations, etc.)--many available in full-text--relating to U.S. cities and neighborhoods. Includes subsets on: "Arts and Culture;" "Economic Development;" "Federal Urban Policies;" "Mobility and Transportation;" "Neighborhood Indicators;" "Neighborhoods and Community Building;" and the "Washington D.C. Region."
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies