Skip to main content
In the Rutgers Libraries...
Materials related to housing and urban development can be found at the Alexander Library in New Brunswick, which houses the major social sciences collection, as well as many state and federal government documents in print (many of which are not represented in the Library Catalog). Other relevant materials may be found at the Robeson Library in Camden, and the Dana Library in Newark.
- HUD USER
- From HUD's Office of Policy Development and Research. "The primary source for Federal Government reports and information on housing policy and programs, building technology...and other housing-related topics." Access to more than 10,000 publications and data sets.
Other Reference Resources
- Willem van Vliet, ed. The Encyclopedia of Housing. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1998.
- Contains brief and more detailed entries on key issues, concepts and research in housing frequently with suggestions for further reading. Appendices list housing organizations, periodicals about housing and major legislation. Available?
- Encyclopedia of Urban Studies
- Ray Hutchison, editor. Thousand Oaks, Calif., Sate Publications, 2010. 2 vol.
- Some 325 entries on issues (crime, housing, gentrification, homelessness, homeownership, etc.), themes, theories, individuals, and cities. Interdisciplinary and international in scope. Entries include useful brief bibliographies. Rutgers-restricted Access Available?
- Encyclopedia of Urban America: The Cities and Suburbs. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-Clio, 1998. 2 vols.
- Signed entries with bibliography relating to "specific urban phenomena, people, places, and events." Available?
- Encyclopedia of Urban Cultures: Cities and Cultures Around the World. Edited by Melvin Ember and Carol R. Ember. Danbury, Conn., Grolier, 2002. 4 vols.
- Urban America: A Historical Bibliography. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-Clio, 1983.
- Classified bibliography with abstracts of articles concerned with the development of, and life in, American cities through the 1970s. Available?
- National Coalition for the Homeless Directories
, Course Guides (Newark)
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies