When you import references from different sources, you may import some duplicate ones. To identify and remove the duplicate copies (in EndNote 20), please follow the steps below:
- Open your EndNote library
- Click All References
- Click the Library menu on the top
- Move your cursor to Find Duplicates (the 3rd option from top) and click it
- If there are duplicate copies, the Find Duplicates box will pop up. You can compare the two records side by side. Select the record to keep. The record not selected will be removed to the Trash folder on the left. Select Skip to go to the next set of duplicates.
- If you don't want to compare the sets of duplicates and want to simply remove the extra copies, then you can click the Cancel button on the upper right corner. The duplicates will be highlighted and can be dragged into the Trash. This option is often used for a systematic review project when a large number of references are retrieved. It would take too long to compare the records one by one.