Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
EndNote Basic or EndNote Online or EndNote Web
EndNote basic is a cloud-based and limited version of EndNote. It was previously called (often still being referred to as) EndNote online or EndNote web.
EndNote basic is free to use and it enables you to collect, manage and share reference directly from EndNote basic or from a desktop library via syncing. It also allows you to cite references while writing a paper and identify an appropriate journal to submit your manuscript for publishing.
To use EndNote basic, you need first to create a free online account by either going to http://endnote.com and clicking Login on the top right of the screen, or going to https://myendnoteweb.com directly to log in.
EndNote basic/online allows you to:
- Search up to 25 favorite databases (note: you can change databases in the favorite list)
- Save and organize up to 50, 000 references that you collected
- Download a plug-in for Microsoft Word to insert references in your paper in a style you choose
- Choose from up to 25 favorite styles including APA 6th, AMA (JAMA) and many others to format references
- Use the Match feature to identify a suitable journal for your research to be published
EndNote basic is condensed. It does not have all the features that the desktop version has. Please watch this video to see What you are missing by using only EndNote basic:
What Are You Missing by Using Only EndNote Basic? (6:20)