Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Add EndNote Add-on in Word
- In order for EndNote Add-on to be added in Word, you must have Word installed first in your computer.
- Once Word is ready, you can install EndNote X9.
- The EndNote X9 tab should be displayed in Word.
How to Make EndNote Tab Appear in Word?
Sometimes your EndNote tab may disappear for whatever reason. If this happens to you too, please follow the steps below to make the tab reappear:
- Go to File -> Options – Add-ins.
- At the bottom of the list of Add-ins, under “Disabled Application Add-ins”, you should see “EndNote Cite While You Write” Add-in. To re-enable this, go to Manage: (the pull-down menu located at the very bottom of the same screen).
- Change the menu from “COM Add-ins” to “Disabled Items”.
- Click Go, you will see a little pop-up window.
- Click on the “Add-in: cite while you write (endnote cwyw.dll)” and then hit Enable.
- After doing that, close Word as well as all other Office programs and then restart Word. The EndNote tab should reappear in the Ribbon on the top of the screen.
How to Cite While You Write?
One of the main reasons people use EndNote is to cite references. CWYW (Cite While You Write) is EndNote's signature feature that makes citing easy. Below are the steps to citing while you write a paper in Word:
- Make sure the EndNote X9 tab is displayed in Word.
- You may start your document by using one of the templates in EndNote (under the Tools menu) or you can start from scratch.
- Write Reference at the bottom of the document so that all the cited references will be listed beneath that.
- In your document, place the cursor where you want to insert in-text citations.
- You may choose Go to EndNote or the Search button (the magnifying glass over a closing quotation mark) to insert references.
- If you choose Go to EndNote, click Go to EndNote and you will be taken to your EndNote library. Highlight the reference(s) you want to insert, then click the Insert Citatoin button (the closing quotation mark icon on the top), your reference(s) will be inserted. The corresponding reference(s) will be listed beneath References in the style you chose. You may change the style at any time as long as you have not converted the document to plain text.
- If you choose the Search option, click on the Search button (the magnifying glass over a closing quotation mark). A search box will be popped up. Enter search terms and the references containing the terms will be retrieved. Highlight the reference(s) you want to insert, then click the Insert button at the bottom of the popup window. Your reference(s) will be inserted. The corresponding reference(s) will be listed beneath References in the style you chose. You may change the style at any time as long as you have not converted the document to plain text.