Skip to main content
- Oxford Encyclopedia of Latinos and Latinas in the United States. Suzanne Oboler and Deena J. Gonzalez, editors. New York, Oxford University Press, 2005. 4 vols.
- Especially good coverage of the larger Latino groups (Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, and Dominican). Includes entries for each state in the U.S.
- Encyclopedia Latina : History, Culture, and Society in the United States. Ilan Stavans, editor. Danbury, CT, Grolier Academic Reference, 2005. 4 vols.
- Fewer articles than the Oxford Encyclopedia, but includes full entries on smaller Latino groups and appendices include texts of historic (primarily political) documents as well as statistical tables.
- Latino Encyclopedia. Richard and Rafael Chabran, editors. New York, Marshall Cavendish, 1996. 6 vols.
- More than 1900 entries ranging from several paragraphs to signed full-length articles with annotated bibliographies relating to the Latino experience in the United States.
- Latinos in the United States: A Historical Bibliography. Albert Camarillo, editor. Santa Barbara, Calif., ABC-Clio, 1986.
- Hispanic Periodicals in the United States Origins to 1960: A Brief History and Comprehensive Bibliography. Nicolas Kanellos. Houston, Tex., Arte Publico Press, 2000.
- Includes the history of the Hispanic press in exile, the immigrant press, and the nativist press. Bibliography lists over 1700 titles.
Use these "formulas" to search the Catalog for material on specific immigrant groups:
[Country Name] Emigration and Immigration Example: Cuba Emigration and Immigration
[Country Name] Americans Example: Ecuadorian Americans
[Group] United States Example: Mexicans United States
- University of Texas at Austin Libraries
- Includes the holdings of the Nettie Lee Benson Latin American Collection, one of the major collections of Latin American materials in the world. Special emphasis on Mexico, Brazil, the Río de la Plata countries, and U.S. Latino culture
- Hispanic-American Periodical Index [HAPI]
- 1970- . The major multidisciplinary periodical index for Latin American Studies. Indexes over 500 scholarly journals published in the U.S. and Latin America. Rutgers-restricted Access
- A Demographic Profile of Cuban Americans
- Thomas D. Boswell. Miami, Fl., Cuban American National Council, 2002.
- Cubans in the United States: A Bibliography for Research in the Social and Behavioral Sciences, 1960-1983
- Lyn MacCorkle. Westport, Conn., Greenwood Press, 1984. Available?
- The Mexican American Experience: An Encyclopedia
- Matt S. Meier. Westport, Conn., Greenwood Press, 2003.
- More than 800 topical and biographical entries, with short bibliographies, on the history of Mexicans in the U.S. Emphasis on the Southwest. Available?
- Mexican Americans in Urban Society: A Selected Bibliography
- Albert Camarillo. Berkeley, CA, Floricanto Press, 1986. Available?
- Bibliography of Mexican American History
- Matt S. Meier. Westport, Conn., Greenwood Press, 1984. Available?
- Mexican Americans: A Research Bibliography
- Frank Pino. East Lansing, Michigan, Latin American Studies Center Michigan State University, 1974. 2 vols. Available?
- Apuntes Tejanos
- Arnoldo De Leon. Ann Arbor, Mich., University Microfilms, 1978. 2 vols.
- Index to items related to Mexican Americans in Texas extracted from 19th century Texas newspapers. Available?
- "The Mexican Immigration Debate: The View From History,"
- Michael Katz, Mark Stern, and Jamie J. Fader. Social Science History 31(2), Summer 2007, 157-189. Rutgers-restricted Access
- The New Era of Mexican Migration to the United States
- Jorge Durand, Douglas S. Massey, and Emilio A. Parrado. Part of the a special issue (September 1999) of the Journal of American History.
- The Evolution of the Mexican-Born Workforce in the United States
- George J. Borjas and Lawrence F. Katz. March 2006.
- "Examines the evolution of the Mexican-born workforce in the United States using data drawn from the decennial Censuses throughout the entire 20th century."
- Mexican Assimilation in the United States
- Edward P. Lazear. March 2005.
- Mexican New York: Transnational Lives of New Immigrants
- Robert C. Smith. Berkeley, University of California Press, 2006. Available?
- Mexican Immigrants in the United States: 2008
- Statistical report from the Pew Hispanic Center
- A Portrait of Unauthorized Immigrants in the United States
- Jeffry S. Passel and D'Vera Cohn. Pew Hispanic Center, April 14, 2009.
- Puerto Ricans and Other Minority Groups in the Continental United States: An Annotated Bibliography
- Dianne Herrera. Detroit, B.Ethridge Books, 1979. Available?
- Puerto Ricans on the United States Mainland: A Bibliography of Reports, Texts, Critical Studies and Related Materials.
- Francesco Cordasco. Totowa, New Jersey, Rowman and Littlefield, 1972.
- Annotated bibliography. Available?
- The Puerto Ricans: Migration and General Bibliography.
- New York, Arno Press, 1975.
- Reprint of nine bibliographies. Available?
- Index to Articles in the New York Times Relating to Puerto Rico and Puerto Ricans Between 1899 and 1930
- New York, CUNY Centro de Estudios Puertorriquenos, 1981. Available?
- Organizing Puerto Rican Migrant Farmworkers: The Experience of Puerto Ricans in New Jersey
- Gloria Bonilla-Santiago. New York, P. Lang, 1988. Available?
- The Puerto Ricans in Newark, N.J.
- Hilda A. Hidalgo. Newark, Aspira, 1971. Available?
- Evaluating Compnents of International Migration: Migration Between Puerto Rico and the United States
- Matthew Christenson. Washington, D.C., U.S. Census Bureau Population Division, 2001.
- "Specifically, the review process evaluated and critiqued the previous estimates of net migration from Puerto Rico to the U.S. in the 1980s and created an estimate for the 1990s."
- Puerto Ricans in the United States: A Contemporary Portrait
- Edna Acosta-Belen and Carlos E. Santiago. Boulder, Colo., Lynne Rienner Publishers, 2006. Available?
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies