Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Want to know if the Rutgers Libraries own a particular film?
Enter the title into the search box in the Libraries' online catalog and select "Title" from the pull-down menu. SEARCH. At the results screen, select the format from menu on the left.
Videos/DVDs owned by the Dana Library are available for viewing in the Media Center on the 4th floor of Dana Library.
Most circulating DVDs are eligible for requesting via the Rutgers Delivery Service.
Naxos Music Library. An on-line library of more than 75,000 tracks of music from the catalog of Naxos, a leading classical music label, and selected additional labels. Primarily classical music but also includes world music, jazz, and national anthems. Off-Campus AccessRutgers-restricted Access
Smithsonian Global Sound. Over 2900 online audio recordings (over 42,000 tracks) of American folk, blues, bluegrass, jazz, spoken word, and world music. Off-Campus AccessRutgers-restricted Access
DRAM: Database of Recorded American Music. CD quality audio, complete and original liner notes and essays from New World Records, Composers Recordings, Inc. (CRI) and other important labels. Over 1,200 complete CDs (7,500 compositions). Off-Campus Access Rutgers-restricted Access
Radio, Television, and Film
- Film and Television Literature Index with Full Text
- Includes Variety film reviews from 1914 to the present as well as more than 36,000 images from the MPTV Image Archive. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Paley Center for Media Database
- The Paley Center (New York City) houses a media collection of nearly
150,000 television and radio programs and advertisements. The database
includes synopsis of programs.
The Edward John Noble Scholars Room has carrels equipped with an
audio/visual monitor for viewing and listening to the Paley Center's
collection of programs and computers
that access the library's database. Use of the Scholars Room is
available to students and others affiliated with educational
organizations at a rate of $15 per day; The Scholar's Room
is open: Wednesdays to Sundays 12:00 to 6:00 pm, and 12:00 to 8:00 pm on
- American History in Video
- Digitized documentaries, newsreel films, and archival footage. Rutgers-restricted Access
Finding Early Film Reviews
- Film Review Index. 2 vols
- Patricia King Hanson & Stephen L. Hanson, editors. Phoenix, Ariz., Oryx Press, 1986-
- One of the best sources for finding early film reviews, the Film Review Index cites reviews to over 7000 feature films released between 1914 and 1985. Vol. 1: 1882-1949; Vol. 2: 1950-1985. In addition to popular magazines, the index also lists reviews in trade publications, newspapers, anthologies, and selected books.
- Dana Call Number: Ref. PN1995 .F513 1986
- Once you have the list of sources in which a specific film was reviewed, you will need to go to the Rutgers Library Catalog to find out if that source is available at Rutgers. Select Periodical Title Begins with when searching with the journal name or Title Begins with when searching for a book.
- Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature Retrospective. 1900- .
- Index to the major general interest and popular periodicals from the late 19th century to 1982. An excellent source for finding film reviews.
Commercials and Ads
- Ad*Access Over 7,000 U.S. and Canadian advertisements covering five product categories - Beauty and Hygiene, Radio, Television, Transportation, and World War II propaganda - dated between 1911 and 1955. A digital collection from the Duke University Libraries.
- AdViewsThousands of television commercials from the 1950s to the 1980s.
- The Advertising ArchivesDatabase of over 100,000 searchable images. You can also browse by category
- Life Photo Archives Not just ads, but you can find them if you add "source:life" to any Google image search and search only the LIFE photo archive. The "Search LIFE images" box at the site itself does not seem to work.
Bettmann ArchiveMore than 11 million stock photography images. You can search by "advertisement" and your subject. For example, "advertisement train," or "advertisement japan* war."
- The Living Room Candidate Presidential Campaign Commercials 1952-2012.
- Early Television Commercials. From the Internet Archive.
- Classic TV Commercials.Another collection from the Internet Archive.
- Grand Comics Database
International database includes access to over 331,000 comic book covers and some 904,000 stories.