Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is an IGO?
- Ergo FIGO: Identifying Formal Intergovernmental Organizations
Thomas J. Volgy et. al. Working Papers Series in International Politics. Tucson, Arizona, University of Arizona, Department of Political Science, December 2006.
"In this effort we probe the conceptual and empirical dimensions related to identifying the existence of intergovernmental organizations (IGOs) in international affairs...."
- International Governmental Organizations
Alphabetical list of IGOs with links to their primary web sites. From the Library at Northwestern University.
IGOs Focusing on Human Rights
- African Commission on Human and People's Rights: State Reports
- "In accordance with Article 62 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights, States Parties to the Charter are required to submit every two years, a report on the legislative or other measures taken, with a view to giving effect to the rights and freedoms recognised and guaranteed by the Charter."
- Inter-American Commission on Human Rights
- "The IACHR is a principal and autonomous organ of the Organization of American States (“OAS”) whose mission is to promote and protect human rights in the American hemisphere." IACHR publishes periodic reports on human rights in OAS Member Countries, as well as Thematic Reports.
- OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights
- Part of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europes, ODIHR is active throughout Europe, the Caucasus, Central Asia and North America. The Office promotes "democratic elections, respect for human rights, tolerance and non-discrimination, and the rule of law."
The United Nations
- United Nations Digital Library System
- UN and other documents and publications indexed by the UN Dag Hammarskjold Library in New York and the UN Library in Geneva. Security Council Plenary Documents; General Assembly Official Records; Economic and Social Council Official Records; and the Trusteeship Council Official Records all digitized back to 1946. Also contains the UN Statistical Yearbooks (1948-2017), and the Yearbook on Human Rights (1946-1988). Not all records in the database have digital files attached; some results include Library-created metadata such as voting information for resolutions adopted by the General Assembly and Security Council, and citations to speeches made in the principal organs.
Database indexing UN documents (General Assembly, Security Council,
Economic and Social Council, Trusteeship Council, Secretariat, and the
International Court of Justice) and publications back to 1946, with
links to some full text documents.
Also indexes articles in UN periodicals. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Official Document System of the United Nations
Full text search of documents issued since 1993; resolutions of all principal organs & Security Council plenary documents since 1946. Older documents are added regularly. Includes the Daily Journals of New York and Geneva.
- UN Wire
Archive as well daily email briefing (free) of news about the UN and about international affairs.
- Human Rights by Country
- From the United Nations Office of the HIgh Commissioner for Human Rights. In addition to the Periodic Reports, includes reports of country and observer visits.
- UN News Centre: Human Rights
- Breaking news from the UN News Service.
Association of Southeast Nations
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations [ASEAN]
- Regional IGO consisting of Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Phillipines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam. Bodies include the ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights [AICHR].
- Topics of the European Union
- Topics link to relevant bodies, laws and documents.
- OECD iLibrary
Online library of statistical databases, books, and periodicals from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). Focuses on the OECD's thirty member countries, although information relating to the some 70 other countries and non-governmental organizations with whom the OECD has an active relationship is also available. Rutgers-restricted Access
- OECD Guidelines for Multinational Enterprises: Human Rights. 
- North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO)
In addition to recent news, opinion and analysis, speeches, etc., site includes an
eLibrary of topical publications, reference works, speeches and articles, and updates on current activities. Official Texts
includes documents relating to the antecedents of the Alliance, juridical texts and format agreements (1949-1997), and key policy
- Open Knowledge Repository
- The official open access repository for research outputs and knowledge products from the World Bank. Includes books, reports, working papers, technical papers, articles, and other research output, including all World Development Reports (WDRs) plus recent WDR background papers.
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies