Skip to main content
use historical newspapers to find out how issues and events were
reported during a specific time in history.
The Chicago Defender was the most influential African-American newspaper of the 20th century. With the majority of its readership outside the Chicago region, it served as the de facto national black newspaper in the U.S. Search and display the full text of articles published between 1910 and 1975.
Off-Campus Access Rutgers-restricted Access.
The Press Then and Now
- Historical New York Times
- Allows you to search and display the full image of articles published in the New York Times back to 1851. The two+ most recent years are not included, use Access World News.Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Historical Washington Post
- Search and display the full image of articles published in the Washington Post between 1877 and 1993. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Nineteenth Century U.S. Newspapers
- Full-text database of 500 newspapers published between 1800 and 1900. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Latin American Newspapers
- This collection contains scanned images of historical newspapers from North, Central and South America, and the Caribbean from the 19th and early 20th centuries. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Australian Newspapers: 1803-1954
- More than forty titles hosted by the Australian National Library. Articles are searchable by keyword, date, and selected categories.
- Historical Jewish Press
- Search 35 Jewish newspapers published in the 19th and 20th centuries in various countries. Most newspapers in Hebrew, although other languages are included. Includes the Palestine Post, 1932 to 1950.
Contemporary Accounts: U.S. Media
- Access World News
- Access to the full text of over 600 U.S. and over 700 international newspapers. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Westlaw Campus Research
- "News" portion indexes the full text of many newspapers including The New York Times, Boston Globe, and the Atlanta Journal and Constitution. Rutgers-restricted Access
- A vast archive which includes the full-text of 8,000 leading newspapers, magazines, trade journals, newsletters, and television and radio transcripts. Ten to twenty year+ backfile for many titles. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- CNN - Middle East
- Major news network
Contemporary Accounts: Non-U.S. Media
- Al Jazeera English
- The highly respected English-language news and current affairs channel based in Qatar. Starting in January 2007, Al Jazeera news stories are included in the Factiva database
- World News Connection
- Translated and English-language news and information from Africa, the Americas, Asia, Eurasia, Europe, and the Middle East. Rutgers-restricted Access.
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies