Skip to main content
PolicyMap allows you to download and map data relating to demographics, housing, income, crime, mortgages, health, jobs, manufacturing, supermarket access, and more. Includes data sets from over 65 public and proprietary sources
Social Explorer allows you to download data to Excel or as Comma Separated Values (CSV) from the U.S. Decennial Census of Population and Housing (1790-2010), the American Community Survey (2005-2011), and data on religion from InfoGroup (2009-2010) and the Religious Congregations and Membership Study (1980-2010). You can also create thematic and interactive maps based on more limited pre-configured data. Rutgers-restricted Access
New Jersey Municipalities
The New Jersey Municipal Data Book. Montclair, N.J., New Jersey Associates, 1981- Annual
One page summaries [sample] of the population, government, finances, schools, and other characterisitics of each of New Jersey's towns and cities.
"DataUniverse is your portal to public government data. We have assembled links to property records and taxes, government payrolls, school performance report cards, crime reports and conviction records, and much more. " Primarily New Jersey information. From the Asbury Park Press.
New Jersey State Data Center
State Data Center Data compiled by the Department of Labor and Workforce Development.
- ProQuest Statistical Abstract of the United States
- The basic databook for U.S. national-level statistics.
- Data-Planet Statistical Datasets
- Access to data from more than 70 organizational sources. Most data series focus on recent years and a few prior decades, although some data series extend back to the 19th century. Rutgers-restricted Access
Census of Governments
- Census of Governments: Federal, State, and Local Governments
- Covers government organization, public employment, and government finance. Most data available back to 1992.
City Fiscal Conditions
- City Fiscal Conditions in 2012
- Annual report on the fiscal condition of cities with populations of 10,000 of more from the National League of Cities. Based on a national mail and email survey of finance officers in U.S. cities.
County Business Patterns
- County Business Patterns
- Number of establishments, total payroll, and Mid-March Employment by Industry Classification. Data by county, zip code, and MSA.
- American FactFinder
- Select query elements to create maps and view data tables based on the 2010 Census, Census 2000, the 1990 Census, the American Community Survey, and the Economic Census.
Crime and Law Enforcement
- Uniform Crime Reporting Statistics Database
- Data for city and county statistics from 1985 through the most recent year available. Includes city jurisdictions with populations of 10,000 or more and county agencies of 25,000 or more. Includes statistics for violent crime (murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault) and property crime (burglary, larceny-theft, and motor vehicle theft).
- Police Departments in Large Cities, 1990-2000
- Trends from 1990 to 2000 in police departments serving U.S. cities with 250,000 or more residents. Data on the number of sworn and civilian personnel, female and minority representation among sworn personnel, officer salaries, officer training and education requirements, operating budgets, UCR crime rates, computers and information systems, types of equipment used, type and number of vehicles, and types of special units. Bureau of Justice Statistics Special Report, May 2002.
- Criminal Justice Statistics
- Rutgers guide.
- School District Demographics
- 2010 Census, Census 2000 and Census 1990 demographic data about children and their living environment, by school district, as well as demographic data from the American Community Surveys. Includes database which allows you to either generate tables for a single school district, or compare your district to another school district.
- Census of Governments: 2011 Public Education Finances
- Revenues, expenditures, debt, and assets of elementary and secondary public school systems. Site includes downloadable tables
- Urban School Statistics
- Aggregate data from the Council of the Great City Schools.
- Beating the Odds
- Annual report from the Council of the Great City Schools analyzing the reading and mathematics achievement as well as demographic data for 67 of the naton's major city school systems.
- TranStats: The Intermodal Transportation Database
Index to "over 100 transportation-related data bases across every mode of transportation - with many social and demographic data sets that are commonly used in transportation analysis." From the Department of Transportation's Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS).
Subjects:African American Studies
, American Studies
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies