Skip to main content
Want to know if the Rutgers Libraries own a particular film?
Select Advanced Search in the Library Catalog. Enter the title into the "TITLE" search box, and select Visual Materials from the format pull-down menu.
Videos/DVDs owned by the Dana Library are available for viewing in the Media Center on the 4th floor of Dana Library.
Videos that are only available from the Media Center in New Brunswick must be booked BY FACULTY for class viewing. All other users must view materials on-site at the Media Center in the Douglass Library. Advance reservations for viewing rooms are recommended. Undergraduate students may make reservations no earlier than 24 hours in advance. To make a reservation, call 732-932-978.
Television and Film
- C-Span Video Library
- Digital version of every C-Span program aired since 1987. Programs are indexed by subject, speaker names, titles, affiliations, sponsors, committees, categories, formats, policy groups, keywords, and location. The congressional sessions and committee hearings are indexed by person.
- TV-NewsSearch: The Vanderbilt Television News Archive
- Index to material in the collection of the Vanderbilt Television News Archive. The database includes nightly news programs broadcast by the national television networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC) and a daily news program from CNN. Abstracts of each story within a regular news program are fully searchable. Programs include:
- ABC Evening News: August 5, 1968 - Present
- CBS Evening News: August 5, 1968 - Present
- NBC Evening News: August 5, 1968 - Present
- ABC Nightline: September 12, 1988 - Present
For a fee, the Archive will make copies and lend individuals DVDs of specific broadcasts. You can place an Interlibrary Loan Request for a program. However the Rutgers Libraries will only pay for the first $20 of the fee; the requestor would be responsible for the remaining amount. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Paley Center for Media Database
- The Paley Center (New York City) houses a media collection of nearly 150,000 television and radio programs, including news programs, and advertisements. The database includes synopsis of programs. The Edward John Noble Scholars Room has carrels equipped with an audio/visual monitor for viewing and listening to the Paley Center's collection of programs and computers that access the library's database. Use of the Scholars Room is available to students and others affiliated with educational organizations at a rate of $15 per day; The Scholar's Room is open: Wednesdays to Sundays 12:00 to 6:00 pm, and 12:00 to 8:00 pm on Thursdays.
- American History in Video
- Digitized documentaries, newsreel films, and archival footage. Rutgers-restricted Access
, Course Guides (Newark)
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies