Skip to main content
use historical newspapers to find out how issues and events were
reported during a specific time in history.
News From the Hill
CQ Weekly "Reports on issues looming on the congressional horizon, plus a complete wrap up the previous week's news, including the status of bills in play, behind-the-scenes maneuvering, committee and floor activity, debates and all roll-call votes." Rutgers-restricted Access
The Chicago Defender was the most influential African-American newspaper of the 20th century. With the majority of its readership outside the Chicago region, it served as the de facto national black newspaper in the U.S. Search and display the full text of articles published between 1910 and 1975.
Off-Campus Access Rutgers-restricted Access.
The Press Then and Now
- Historical New York Times
- Allows you to search and display the full image of articles published in the New York Times back to 1851. The two+ most recent years are not included, use Access World News.Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Historical Washington Post
- Search and display the full image of articles published in the Washington Post between 1877 and 2000. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Historical Wall Street Journal
- Search and display the full image of articles published in the Wall Street Journal between 1889 and 1999. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Nineteenth Century U.S. Newspapers
- Full-text database of 500 newspapers published between 1800 and 1900. Rutgers-restricted Access.
Contemporary Accounts: U.S. Media
- Access World News
- Access to the full text of over 600 U.S. and over 700 international newspapers. Includes the Newark Star-Ledger back to 1989.Rutgers-restricted Access
- Westlaw Campus Research
- "News" portion indexes the full text of many newspapers including The New York Times, Boston Globe, and the Atlanta Journal and Constitution. Rutgers-restricted Access
- A vast archive which includes the full-text of 8,000 leading newspapers, magazines, trade journals, newsletters, and television and radio transcripts. Ten to twenty year+ backfile for many titles. Rutgers-restricted Access.
Contemporary Accounts: Non-U.S. Media
- Al Jazeera English
- The highly respected English-language news and current affairs channel based in Qatar. Starting in January 2007, Al Jazeera news stories are included in the Factiva database
, Course Guides (Newark)
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies