Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Other Guides You May Find Useful
Scholarly encyclopedias can give you an overview of a topic as well as some basic bibliography.
- American Masculinities: A Historical Encyclopedia
- Bret E. Carroll, editor. Thousand Oaks, Calif., Sage Publications, 2004.
- "A reference guide and an introduction to the many ways in which men have defined, imagined, and experienced male identity in the social, cultural, and political contexts of the United States.” 258 signed entries with bibliography. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Encyclopedia of Women and Gender : Sex Similarities and Differences and the Impact of Society on Gender
- San Diego, Calif.:Academic, c2001. 2 vols.
- About 100 articles, each contributed by an expert in the social or behavioral sciences, on "the many topics that encompass current research and scholarship on the psychology of women and gender." Articles on such topics as "Abortion and Its Health Effects," "Achievement," "Body Image Concerns," "Career Achievement," "Hate Crimes," "Imprisonment in the United States," "Military Women," "Political Behavior," "Sport and Athletics," and "Work-Family Balance." Each article contains a glossary, cross-references, and a "Suggested Reading" section. Sample Article
- LGBT: Encyclopedia of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender History in America
- New York, Charles Scribner's Sons, 2004. 3 vols.
- More than 500 scholarly entries on LGBT identities, communities, cultures, movements, and issues. Rutgers-restricted Access
Bibliographies are great for finding out what has been written/is available on a specific topic.
- Antifeminism in American Thought: An Annotated Bibliography
- Cynthia D. Kinnard. Boston, Mass., G.K. Hall, 1986.
- Books, articles and pamphlets from colonial times to 1920. Excellent extensive annotations organized around eight topics: Women's Rights and Feminism. Woman Suffrage: Anti-Suffrage Periodicals. Domesticity, Femininity and Motherhood. Education of Girls and Women. Women's Intellect and Character. Women's Work, Professional Employment and Creativity. Religion. Women's Bodies.
- Gays, Lesbian and Transgendered People in Motion Pictures: A Bibliography of Materials in the UC Berkeley Library
- The History of Rape: A Bibliography
- Stefan Blaschke
- SexBiblio: Bibliography of the History of Western Sexuality
- Database of about 25,000 titles of primary and secondary literature of the history of sexuality in Europe, the U.S. and Canada from 1700 to 2007/2008. Also includes important titles of the sexual history of Antiquity and the Middle Ages, including non-Western societies.
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies