Skip to main content
You can use historical newspapers to find out how issues and events were reported during a specific time in history.
How They Reported It
- Historical New York Times
- Allows you to search and display the full image of articles published in the New York Times back to 1851. The three+ most recent years are not included; use Westlaw Campus Research to find more recent articles. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Historical Washington Post
- Search and display the full image of articles published in the Washington Post between 1877 and 1993. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Chicago Defender
- The Chicago Defender was the most influential African-American newspaper of the 20th century. With the majority of its readership outside the Chicago region, it served as the
de facto national black newspaper in the U.S. Search and display the full text of articles published between 1910 and 1975. Rutgers-restricted Access.
Subjects:African American Studies
, American Studies
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies