Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
You can use historical newspapers to find out how issues and events were reported during a specific time in history.
The Alternative Press
Alternative Press Index. 1969- . Index to journals, magazines, and newspapers offering an alternative, radical, or left perspective. Online beginning with 1991.
Finding Newspaper Articles
- Historical New York Times
- Allows you to search and display the full image of articles published in the New York Times back to 1851. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Historical Washington Post
- Search and display the full image of articles published in the Washington Post between 1877 and 2000. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- The Wall Street Journal
- Search and display the full image of the Wall Street Journal from 1889 through 1999.
- Southern Courier
- Based in Montgomery, Alabama, the Southern Courier provided objective coverage of the civil rights struggle in the South. 1965-1968.
- Brooklyn Daily Eagle Online
- Search or browse the Brooklyn Daily Eagle from 1841 to 1955. The Daily Eagle was published as a daily newspaper for 114 years; among the editors of the Eagle were Walt Whitman, Thomas Kinsella, St. Clair McKelway, Cleveland Rodgers, and Frank D. Schroth. A project of Brooklyn Public Library.
- Chronicling America: Search the Newspaper Pages
- An ongoing project of the Library of Congress to digitize America's historical newspapers.
Looking for More Recent Accounts?
- Access World News
- Access to the full text of over 600 U.S. and over 700 international newspapers. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Westlaw Campus Research
- "News" portion indexes the full text of many newspapers.Rutgers-restricted Access
- A vast archive which includes the full-text of 8,000 leading newspapers(including the New York Times), magazines, trade journals, newsletters, and television and radio transcripts. Ten to twenty year+ backfile for many titles. Rutgers-restricted Access.
African American and Ethnic Press
- Chicago Defender
- The Chicago Defender was the most influential African-American newspaper of the 20th century. With the majority of its readership outside the Chicago region, it served as the
de facto national black newspaper in the U.S. Search and display the full text of articles published between 1910 and 1975. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Ethnic NewsWatch
- Full text collection of articles from newspapers, magazines and journals of the ethnic, minority and native press back to 1960. Rutgers-restricted Access.
The Newark Public Library has digitized their African American Newark Newspapers collection. The collection consists of individual issues of African-American newspapers published in Newark, including the Newark Herald, Advance, Herald Advance and New Jersey Herald News published from the 1930s to the 1960s.
The above collection does not include the New Jersey Afro-American, which was published in Newark from 1941 to 1988. Newark Public has the newspaper on microfilm, as does the Rutgers Alexander Library in New Brunswick.
Other Newspapers at Rutgers
Many other newspapers are available at Rutgers on microfilm.
In general you would check for newspapers in the Rutgers Libraries in the same way that you would check for any other periodical--search the Catalog with the title as your search term, and "Journals" as your resource type.
Not Available at Rutgers?
The Rutgers Libraries are members of the Center for Research Libraries, which has a large collection of newspapers on microfilm. Rutgers students and faculty may borrow microfilm reels via Interlibrary Loan.
The The New York Public Library has a large collection of newspapers, including a number of newspapers that are available online. (These would need to be used on-site).
Not Sure What the Local Newspapers Were?
- Newspapers in Microform. United States.
- Washington : Library of Congress, 2 vols.
- Lists newspapers published in the U.S. by state, city, and title.
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies