Skip to main content
Media and Media History: Some Basic Resources
- The Encyclopedia of American Journalism
- Stephen L. Vaughn, editor. New York, Routledge, 2008.
- 405 articles ranging from 500 to 5000 words. Entries cover seven major themes: Associations and Organization; HIstorical Overview and Practice; individuals; Journalism in American History; Laws, Acts, and Legislation; Print, Broadcast; Newsgroups, and Corporations; and Technologies. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Covering American - A Narrative History of a Nation's Journalism
- Christopher B. Daly. Boston, University of Massachusetts Press, 2012. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Communities of Journalism : A History of American Newspapers and Their Readers
- David Paul Nord. Urbana : University of Illinois Press, 2001. Available?
- Encyclopedia of Television
- "More than 1,000 original essays... [on] specific programs and people, historic moments and trends, major policy disputes and such topics as violence, tabloid television and the quiz show scandal."
- World Press Encyclopedia
- 2nd edition. Gale, 2003. 2 vols.
- "Arranged alphabetically by country, entries begin with an overview of the background, economic framework and general characteristics of each country's press. Entries then cover the number and type of media, press laws, censorship issues, state-press relations, news agencies, electronic news media, education and training in journalism and much more." Rutgers-restricted Access
Subjects:African American Studies
, American Studies
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies