Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Want to know if the Rutgers Libraries own a particular film?
Enter the title into the QuickSearch Browse search box.
DVDs and VHS cassettes are on shelves on the lower level of Dana Library near the group lounge area. Simply take the empty box for the item you want upstairs to the Circulation Desk located in the first floor lobby of the library. Circulation staff will retrieve the tape, CD or DVD for you and check it out to you just as they would a book.
Most circulating DVDs owned by the Media Center in New Brunswick are eligible for the Rutgers Delivery Service.
Streaming Video Collections
- Swank Digital Campus
- Access to course-assigned feature films. Because this service is maintained to support classroom instruction, the films available through Swank will vary from semester to semester.
- A broad selection of streaming documentaries, independent and foreign films, classics, and feature films.
Radio, Television, and Film
- Film and Television Literature Index with Full Text
- Includes Variety film reviews from 1914 to the present as well as more than 36,000 images from the MPTV Image Archive. Rutgers-restricted Access
- TV-NewsSearch: The Vanderbilt Television News Archive
- Index to material in the collection of the Vanderbilt Television News Archive; includes access through Online Streaming Video to thousands of hours of NBC and CNN news broadcasts, as well as abstracts to nightly news programs broadcast by the other national television networks. Rutgers-restricted Access
- American History in Video
- Digitized documentaries, newsreel films, and archival footage. Rutgers-restricted Access
Finding Early Film Reviews
- Film Review Index. 2 vols
- Patricia King Hanson & Stephen L. Hanson, editors. Phoenix, Ariz., Oryx Press, 1986-
- One of the best sources for finding early film reviews, the Film Review Index cites reviews to over 7000 feature films released between 1914 and 1985. Vol. 1: 1882-1949; Vol. 2: 1950-1985. In addition to popular magazines, the index also lists reviews in trade publications, newspapers, anthologies, and selected books.
- Dana Call Number: Ref. PN1995 .F513 1986
- Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature Retrospective. 1900- .
- Index to the major general interest and popular periodicals from the late 19th century to 1982. An excellent source for finding film reviews.