Skip to main content
- The Oxford Handbook of Gender, Sex, and Crime
- Edited by Rosemary Gartner and Bill McCarthy. Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Part II: Historical Perspectives and Patterns. Available?
- "The Rule of Love": Wife Beating as Prerogative and Privacy
- Reva B. Siegel. Yale Law Journal 105(8), June 1996, pp. 2117-2207. Rutgers-restricted access
- "Justifiable Provocation": Violence Against Women in Essex County, New York, 1799-1860
- Sean T. Moore. Journal of Social History 35(4), 2002, pp. 889-918. Rutgers-restricted access
- Shrill Hurrahs: Women, Gender, and Racial Violence in South Carolina, 1865-1900
- Kate F.C. Gillin. Columbia, South Carolina, University of South Carolina Press, 2013. Available?
- Lizzie Borden On Trial: Murder, Ethnicity, and Gender
- Joseph A. Conforti. Lawrence, Kansas, University Press of Kansas, 2015. Available?
- From Lizzie Borden to Lorena Bobbitt: Violent Women and Gendered Justice
- Jean S. Filetti. Journal of American Studies 35(3), 2001, pp. 471-484. Rutgers-restriced access
- Murder, Insanity and the Efficacy of Woman's Role: The Gwendolyn Hoyt Case
- George B. Crawford. The Florida Historical Quarterly 89(1), July 2010, pp.51-80. Rutgers-restricted access
- Abortion Rites: A Social History of Abortion in America
- Marvin N. Olasky. Wheaton, Ill., Crossways Books, 1992. Available?
- When Abortion Was a Crime: Women, Medicine, and Law in the United States, 1867-1973
- Leslie J. Reagan. Berkeley, Calif, University of California Press, 1997. Available?
- Homicide Justified: The Legality of Killing Slaves in the United States and the Atlantic World
- Andrew T. Fede. Athens, Georgia, The University of Georgia Press, 2017. Available?
- Lynching in America: A History in Documents
- Christopher Waldrep, editor. New York, NYU Press, 2006.
- Popular Justice: A History of Lynching in America
- Manfred Berg. Chicago, Ivan R. Dee, 2011. Available?
- Map of White Supremacy Mob Violence, 1835-1964
- Without Sanctuary: Photographs and Postcards of Lynching in America
- Book Available?
- Understanding Hate in America
- Full text access to eleven Ku Klux Klan newspapers, six pro-Klan newspapers, and two anti-Klan newspapers published between 1921 and 1932.
- Seeing Red: Race, Citizenship, and Indigeneity in the Old Northwest
- Michael Witgen. Journal of the Early Republic 38(4), 2018, pp. 581-611. Rutgers-restricted access
- An American Genocide: The United States and the California Indian Catastrophe, 1846-1873
- Benjamin Madley. New Haven, Yale University Press, 2016.
- Ethnic Cleansing and the Indian: The Crime That Should Haunt America
- Gary Clayton Anderson. Norman, University of Oklahoma Press, 2014. Available?
- Murder State: California's Native American Genocide, 1846-1873
- Brendan C. Lindsay. Lincoln, University of Nebraska Press, 2012. Available?
- Exterminate Them: Written Accounts of the Murder, Rape, and Slavery of Native Americans During the California Gold Rush, 1848-1868
- Clifford E. Trafzer and Joel R. Hyer. East Lansing, Michigan State University Press, 1999.
- Murdering Indians: A Documentary History of the 1897 Killings That Inspired Louise Erdrich's The Plague of Doves
- Peter G. Beidler. Jefferson, N.C., McFarland & Company, 2014. Available?
Subjects:African American Studies
, American Studies
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies