Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- The Oxford Handbook of Gender, Sex, and Crime
- Edited by Rosemary Gartner and Bill McCarthy. Oxford University Press, 2014.
- Part II: Historical Perspectives and Patterns. Available?
- "The Rule of Love": Wife Beating as Prerogative and Privacy
- Reva B. Siegel. Yale Law Journal 105(8), June 1996, pp. 2117-2207. Rutgers-restricted access
- "Justifiable Provocation": Violence Against Women in Essex County, New York, 1799-1860
- Sean T. Moore. Journal of Social History 35(4), 2002, pp. 889-918. Rutgers-restricted access
- Shrill Hurrahs: Women, Gender, and Racial Violence in South Carolina, 1865-1900
- Kate F.C. Gillin. Columbia, South Carolina, University of South Carolina Press, 2013. Available?
- Lizzie Borden On Trial: Murder, Ethnicity, and Gender
- Joseph A. Conforti. Lawrence, Kansas, University Press of Kansas, 2015. Available?
- From Lizzie Borden to Lorena Bobbitt: Violent Women and Gendered Justice
- Jean S. Filetti. Journal of American Studies 35(3), 2001, pp. 471-484. Rutgers-restriced access
- Murder, Insanity and the Efficacy of Woman's Role: The Gwendolyn Hoyt Case
- George B. Crawford. The Florida Historical Quarterly 89(1), July 2010, pp.51-80. Rutgers-restricted access
- Abortion Rites: A Social History of Abortion in America
- Marvin N. Olasky. Wheaton, Ill., Crossways Books, 1992. Available?
- When Abortion Was a Crime: Women, Medicine, and Law in the United States, 1867-1973
- Leslie J. Reagan. Berkeley, Calif, University of California Press, 1997. Available?
- Homicide Justified: The Legality of Killing Slaves in the United States and the Atlantic World
- Andrew T. Fede. Athens, Georgia, The University of Georgia Press, 2017. Available?
- Lynching in America: A History in Documents
- Christopher Waldrep, editor. New York, NYU Press, 2006.
- Popular Justice: A History of Lynching in America
- Manfred Berg. Chicago, Ivan R. Dee, 2011. Available?
- Map of White Supremacy Mob Violence, 1835-1964
- Without Sanctuary: Photographs and Postcards of Lynching in America
- Book Available?
- Understanding Hate in America
- Full text access to eleven Ku Klux Klan newspapers, six pro-Klan newspapers, and two anti-Klan newspapers published between 1921 and 1932.
- Seeing Red: Race, Citizenship, and Indigeneity in the Old Northwest
- Michael Witgen. Journal of the Early Republic 38(4), 2018, pp. 581-611. Rutgers-restricted access
- An American Genocide: The United States and the California Indian Catastrophe, 1846-1873
- Benjamin Madley. New Haven, Yale University Press, 2016.
- Ethnic Cleansing and the Indian: The Crime That Should Haunt America
- Gary Clayton Anderson. Norman, University of Oklahoma Press, 2014. Available?
- Murder State: California's Native American Genocide, 1846-1873
- Brendan C. Lindsay. Lincoln, University of Nebraska Press, 2012. Available?
- Exterminate Them: Written Accounts of the Murder, Rape, and Slavery of Native Americans During the California Gold Rush, 1848-1868
- Clifford E. Trafzer and Joel R. Hyer. East Lansing, Michigan State University Press, 1999.
- Murdering Indians: A Documentary History of the 1897 Killings That Inspired Louise Erdrich's The Plague of Doves
- Peter G. Beidler. Jefferson, N.C., McFarland & Company, 2014. Available?
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies