Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- American History in Video
- Digitized documentaries, newsreel films, and archival footage. Rutgers-restricted Access
- TV-NewsSearch: The Vanderbilt Television News Archive
- Index to material in the collection of the Vanderbilt Television News Archive. The database includes nightly news programs broadcast by the national television networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC) and a daily news program from CNN. Abstracts of each story within a regular news program are fully searchable. Programs include:
- ABC Evening News: August 5, 1968 - Present
- CBS Evening News: August 5, 1968 - Present
- NBC Evening News: August 5, 1968 - Present
For a fee, the Archive will make copies and lend individuals DVDs of specific broadcasts. You can place an Interlibrary Loan Request for a program. However the Rutgers Libraries will only pay for the first $20 of the fee; the requester would be responsible for the remaining amount. Clips from some broadcasts are also available freely on the site. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Television News of the Civil Rights Era 1950-1970
- "Films from the nightly news from two local television stations in Virginia--WDBJ (CBS) Roanoke and WSLS (NBC) Roanoke...Includes full speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr., John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, the governors of the Commonwealth of Virginia, as well as original footage of school desegregation, public meetings, local debates over civil rights matters, and interviews with citizens."
- Access World News
- Access to the full text of over 600 U.S. and over 700 international newspapers. Includes access to the Newark Star-Ledger back to 1989. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Full text of many of the world's important newspapers, including the current New York Times.
- Historical New York Times
- Allows you to search and display the full image of articles published in the New York Times back to 1851. The two+ most recent years are not included, use Factiva. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Historical Washington Post
- Search and display the full image of articles published in the Washington Post between 1877 and 1993. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Historical Wall Street Journal
- Search and display the full image of articles published in the Wall Street Journal between 1889 and 1995. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Chicago Defender
- The Chicago Defender was the most influential African-American newspaper of the 20th century. With the majority of its readership outside the Chicago region, it served as the de facto national black newspaper in the U.S. Search and display the full text of articles published between 1910 and 1975. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Ethnic NewsWatch
- Full text collection of articles from newspapers, magazines and journals of the ethnic, minority and native press back to 1960. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Historic Mexican & Mexican American Press
- Search or browse Mexican and Mexican American publications, primarily daily and weekly newspapers, published in Tucson, El Paso, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Sonora, Mexico from the mid-1800s to the present. A project of the University of Arizona.
- Southern Courier
- Based in Montgomery, Alabama, the Southern Courier provided objective coverage of the civil rights struggle in the South. 1965-1968.
- Center for Research Libraries
- CRL is consortium of North American university and independent research libraries that acquires and preserves newspapers, journals, documents, foreign dissertations, archives, and other expensive or hard to find materials. They have a large collection of U.S., ethnic and foreign newspapers that are available via ILL to Rutgers users.
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies