Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
use historical newspapers to find out how issues and events were
reported during a specific time in history.
The Press Then and Now
- Historical New York Times
- Allows you to search and display the full image of articles published in the New York Times back to 1851. The two+ most recent years are not included, use Factiva.Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Historical Washington Post
- Search and display the full image of articles published in the Washington Post between 1877 and 1993. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Nineteenth Century U.S. Newspapers
- Full-text database of 500 newspapers published between 1800 and 1900. Rutgers-restricted Access.
- Latin American Newspapers
- This collection contains scanned images of historical newspapers from North, Central and South America, and the Caribbean from the 19th and early 20th centuries. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Australian Newspapers: 1803-1954
- More than forty titles hosted by the Australian National Library. Articles are searchable by keyword, date, and selected categories.
- Historical Jewish Press
- Search 35 Jewish newspapers published in the 19th and 20th centuries in various countries. Most newspapers in Hebrew, although other languages are included. Includes the Palestine Post, 1932 to 1950.
Contemporary Accounts: U.S. Media
- Popular Newspapers During World War II
- Microfilm edition of five British newspapers reproduced in their entirety for the period 1939 to 1945. Covers: Daily Express (London); Daily Mirror (London); News of the World (London); People (London); and the Sunday Express (London). Chronological arrangement; (ALEXANDER M/Film 2717). Guide. (ALEXANDER, CAMDEN REF PN 5118 .P66 guide)
- Access World News
- Access to the full text of over 600 U.S. and over 700 international newspapers. Rutgers-restricted Access
- Westlaw Campus Research
- "News" portion indexes the full text of many newspapers.Rutgers-restricted Access
- A vast archive which includes the full-text of 8,000 leading newspapers(including the New York Times), magazines, trade journals, newsletters, and television and radio transcripts. Ten to twenty year+ backfile for many titles. Rutgers-restricted Access.
Contemporary Accounts: Non-U.S. Media
- CNN - Middle East
- Major news network
- Al Jazeera English
- The highly respected English-language news and current affairs channel based in Qatar. Starting in January 2007, Al Jazeera news stories are included in the Factiva database
, Criminal Justice
, History - Global & Eurasian
, History - North America
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies