For finding aids and additional information contact our reference services. Materials stored off-site must be requested three days in advance. A guide to original and copied records of religious organizations, largely New Jersey churches is available in the reading room.
The Bound Brook Presbyterian Church records include session minutes, historical notes, rules adopted, lists of baptisms (1805-1815), communicants, a list of pastors after 1852, and session officers (1866-1884).
The Califon Methodists Church records include minutes of meetings of trustees and official board (1901-1935), registers of pastors (1891-1936), including members (1891-1936), probationers (1891-1910, 1914-1932), baptisms (1895-1936), and marriages (1892-1936).
Located in Passaic, N.J., the records of Congregation Adas Israel consist of the constitution, newsletters (1971-1981), financial documents (1945-1964), printed programs (1959-1975), and Mens Club records (1952-1973). Minutes, membership and mailing lists, general files, and an oversized charter listing members of B'nai Brith Lodge No. 1609 which met at the Congregations building is also included.
The records of congregation Ahavath Achim B'nai Israel, date from 1920 to 1986, with the bulk of them later than 1950, and gaps throughout the entire span of years. Ahavat Achim B'nai Israel represents the 1982 merger of Ahavath Achim B’nai Cholim and B'nai Israel. The collection includes constitutional records, general files, newsletters, Rabbi's reports and correspondence, as well as membership and student lists.
Organized in 1889, the records of Congregation B'nai Jacob consist of meeting minutes, account books including membership ledgers, monies received, seating accounts as well as minute of the Daughters of Congregation B'nai Jacob.
Located in Bound Brook, N.J., the records of Congregation Knesseth Israel include constitutional records and by-laws, congregation minutes, board of trustees' minutes, financial records, newsletters, books of remembrance, and administrative and general files. Correspondence reflecting Rabbi Aaron Decter's participation in the Bound Brook Clergy Association (1977-1979) is also present.
Founded in 1901 as an Orthodox Jewish congregation in New Brunswick, N.J., Congregation Poile Zedek became a conservative congregation for a short period, beginning in 1968, before reverting to Orthodox Judaism. The organization’s records date from 1917 to 1969 and from 1985 to 1997. They consist of a constitution, minutes, a scrapbook, financial documents and printed and mimeographed material.
The bulk of the documents belonging to Congregation Sharri Shalom fall between 1970 and 1979. The most substantial records consist of minutes, 1955-1957 and 1973-1979 and the general files of President Alvin Bazel, 1973-1979. financial documents, membership records, and press clippings are also included.
Located in Rutherford, N.J., majority of the records belonging to Temple Beth El fall between 1950 and 1978. The collection includes a 1927 constitution and by-laws, board of trustees' minutes, 1948-1950 and 1958-1975, congregation newsletters, 1950-1962 and 1972-1985, as well as administrative files, 1934-1981 with gaps.
Rutgers is an equal access/equal opportunity institution. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to direct suggestions, comments, or complaints concerning any accessibility issues with Rutgers websites to firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the Report Accessibility Barrier / Provide Feedback form.