Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Link to Libraries homepage
Link to Libraries homepage
Rutgers University Libraries

Politics of Reproduction: Male health and policy

This guide points to resources that address issues of reproduction.

Suggested search terms

Male reproductive health and policy

  • "Andrology" (the medical specialty dealing with male-specific health)
  • "policy" (add this as a separate search term to other keywords on male reproduction)
  • "male contraception"
  • "ICSI" (Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection)
  • "Vasectomy" "laws"
  • "vasectomy laws"

Male health and policy

The study of male reproductive health is called andrology. Although research interest in male infertility dates to 1881, the term andrology wasn't coined until 1951. Even after the concept had been introduced it took decades for the research to become mainstream. Andrology is important because contraception and fertility treatment burdens are often placed on females, even when their male counterparts are infertile. The article "‘Man Up’: the importance and strategy for placing male reproductive health centre stage in the political and research agenda" further expands on this topic. In terms of policy, male reproductive health doesn't appear to be as policed as female reproductive health, however, there are a number of restrictive practices, such as singular reliance on semen analysis or the role gynecologists (who are often untrained in male fertility) as gatekeepers to fertility treatments. Another article from Human Reproduction journal details gatekeeping further.

Documentaries about male reproductive health

American Society of Andrology

Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, an equal access/equal opportunity institution. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to direct suggestions, comments, or complaints concerning any accessibility issues with Rutgers web sites to: or complete the Report Accessibility Barrier / Provide Feedback Form.