Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
How to use Search Form
- Go to Search Builder and select the Search Form view. This allows you to use free text search without having to enter Boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT), as well as the ability to search by fields that have been indexed, typically getting more targeted results than by using just keywords.
- Again, let’s search for census info.
- Type: 2020 census in the "this exact phrase" box to search that exact phrase anywhere in a document.
- In the company field, type U.S. Census Bureau and in the regional field type United States
- These index codes added to the search will be highlighted in yellow
Narrowing Your Search
- Using region codes, you can narrow the search, to northeast US or New Jersey, for example.
- TIP: The larger umbrella codes broaden your search, the more specific subcodes can be used to refine your search.
Link to a Quick Reference Card for additional assistance.