Skip to main content
American History in Video
The History of Ideas
- Dictionary of the History of Ideas: Studies of Selected Pivotal Ideas
- Philip P. Wiener. New York, Scribner, 1973-1974. 5 volumes.
- A basic resource for tracing the development of major concepts (e.g., Class; Equality; Labor) in history. Lengthy, signed scholarly essays with bibliography.
- New Dictionary of the History of Ideas
- Maryanne Cline Horowith. New York, Charles Scribner's Sons, 2005. 6 volumes.
- Over 700 signed articles with up to date bibliographies. While the Dictionary of the History of Ideas was decidedly Eurocentric in its approach, articles in the NDHI are written from a global, multicultural perspective. Emphasize is on developments in scholarship since 1970.
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
Scholarly encyclopedias can give you an overview of a topic as well as some basic bibliography.
- The Color of Words: An Encyclopedia Dictionary of Ethnic Bias in the United States
- Philip H. Herbst. Yarmouth, Me., Intercultural Press, 1997.
- Herbst, an anthropologist, offers definitions, as well as the social and historical origins, of 850 frequently misunderstood, offensive, or
politically-charged ethnic and racial terms used in the U.S. Available?
- Encyclopedia of Racism in the United States
- Westport, Conn., Greenwood Press, 2005. 3 vols.
- Some 450 scholarly entries dealing with concepts, theories, people, events, legislation, court cases, and specific
racial and ethnic groups. Includes an appendix of primary documents: slave codes, legal documents, speeches, and texts. Sneak Peak
- Dana Call Number: REF E184.A1E773 2005
- St. James Encyclopedia of Labor History Worldwide: Major Events in Labor History and Their Impact
- "In-depth analysis of more than 300 key events in labor history over the last 200 years, focusing on the relevance of these events to both the labor movement as a whole and to societal changes around the world."
Subjects:African American Studies
, American Studies
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies