Skip to main content
Bibliography of Slavery
Searchable database referencing approximately 25,000 scholarly works published since 1900, as well as unpublished papers.
American History in Video
Digitized documentaries, newsreel films, and archival footage. Rutgers-restricted Access
U.S. Business History
This guide describes both print and online resources appropriate for researching companies, industries, people, and events in U.S. business history.
The History of Ideas
- Dictionary of the History of Ideas: Studies of Selected Pivotal Ideas
- Philip P. Wiener. New York, Scribner, 1973-1974. 5 volumes.
- A basic resource for tracing the development of major concepts (e.g., Class; Equality; Labor) in history. Lengthy, signed scholarly essays with bibliography.
- New Dictionary of the History of Ideas
- Maryanne Cline Horowith. New York, Charles Scribner's Sons, 2005. 6 volumes.
- Over 700 signed articles with up to date bibliographies. While the Dictionary of the History of Ideas was decidedly Eurocentric in its approach, articles in the NDHI are written from a global, multicultural perspective. Emphasize is on developments in scholarship since 1970.
Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
Scholarly encyclopedias can give you an overview of a topic as well as some basic bibliography.
- The Color of Words: An Encyclopedia Dictionary of Ethnic Bias in the United States
- Philip H. Herbst. Yarmouth, Me., Intercultural Press, 1997.
- Herbst, an anthropologist, offers definitions, as well as the social and historical origins, of 850 frequently misunderstood, offensive, or politically-charged ethnic and racial terms used in the U.S. Available?
- Encyclopedia of Racism in the United States
- Westport, Conn., Greenwood Press, 2005. 3 vols.
- Some 450 scholarly entries dealing with concepts, theories, people, events, legislation, court cases, and specific racial and ethnic groups. Includes an appendix of primary documents: slave codes, legal documents, speeches, and texts. Sneak Peak
- Dana Call Number: REF E184.A1E773 2005 Available?
- St. James Encyclopedia of Labor History Worldwide: Major Events in Labor History and Their Impact
- "In-depth analysis of more than 300 key events in labor history over the last 200 years, focusing on the relevance of these events to both the labor movement as a whole and to societal changes around the world."
- Encyclopedia of African American Business History
- Walker, Juliet E. K., Greenwood Press, 1999.
- "the encyclopedia provides an overview of black business activities, and underscores the existence of a historic tradition of black American business participation. Entries range from biographies of black business people to overview surveys of business activities from the 1600s to the 1990s, including slave and free black business activities and the Black Wallstreet to coverage of black women's business activities, and discussions of such African American specific industries as catering, funeral enterprises, insurance, and hair care and cosmetic products."
- Dana Call Number Ref HD2344.5.U6E53 1999 Available?
Subjects:African American Studies
, American Studies
, Journalism & Media Studies
, Latin American & Caribbean Studies
, Literatures in English
, New Jerseyana
, Political Science
, Social Work
, Spanish & Portuguese Studies
, Women's & Gender Studies